Knitting Community

Norma's Comments

Comment Wall (113 comments)

You need to be a member of Knitting Community to add comments!

Join Knitting Community

At 1:41pm on April 8, 2010, Mary Johnston said…
I ceased dancing about 9 months ago because of health problems, Dougie still attends 3 dances weekly and we both go once a month to another one. my legs wont carry me much now but he gets a few dances and enjoys the banter with all our friends. I have just finished a fairisle cardigan for doug and a short sleeved garter carriage cardigan for myself. I will send you some photos of my work. my embroidery machine is Brother PE 190D it is separate from my Brother sewing machine, it does some lovely designs.recently I made pouches for holding phone, glasses, childrens dinner money or cosmetics with embroidery of disney characters, animals, flowers etc sold them for St.Clares Hospice and made over £100. I get a lot of enjoyment from my hobbies and always looking for a challenge. your friend mary
At 9:58pm on April 7, 2010, wendy manning said…
Hello Norma
no we don't have a farm, here it is called a life style block and is 10 acres.

Raverlry is found here.
https://www.ravelry.com/account/login

you need to join up but that is easy to do just need to send your name and email at the above address and they send you back the info .

Ravelry is a place for knitters, crocheters, designers, spinners, weavers and dyers to keep track of their yarn, tools, project and pattern information, and look to others for ideas and inspiration. what other people are making, find the perfect pattern and connect with people who love to play with yarn from all over the world in our forums.

no I don't sell my work I make it for my family and a charity I belong to called operation cover up we make blankets hats scarfs mittens and so on for Orphanage in romania and Urkraine ,they have a collection once a year so we get all year to knit stuff.

well happy crafting
At 12:27pm on April 7, 2010, Mary Johnston said…
hello norma, nice to meet up with an expat. We live off Victoria Road/Ushaw road behind the Longship Pub.where they used to have an Ambulance Station, which was pulled down many years ago then a private housing firm built 14 new 2 bedroom bungalows 9 years ago, they are all mod con. My husband dougie 82 and I 82 were very lucky to get one and we have never been happier, weve just celebrated our 59th wedding anniversary on St.Patricks day. We have a son 56 with his wife June and two lovely grandchildren Lisa 19 and Erin 17, living in Auckland NZ also a son Kenneth 52 with his wife Carol and two grandsons Scott 20, Craig 16 and granddaughter Chloe 11 in Wellington NZ hope this gives you an insight into our family. Mary
At 10:46pm on April 6, 2010, wendy manning said…
Hello Norma
how very exciting to get a message. I would love to have you as a friend.
I don't often do much on the knitpick site, but now I will have to check my messages.
I live in new zealand with my husband and two sons 18 and 14 .we live in the country and have 12 sheep and chickens and geese and cats.
I love knitting spinning and a bit of very simple weaving. and playing with dyeing wool.

are you on Ralvery?

thankyou for you message looking forward to hearing from you
wendy
At 1:23pm on April 6, 2010, Muffy said…
Hi Norma how are you ?
The book I was on about is by Eilzabeth Zimmerman. She does one called the knitting workshop and another called the opinionated knitter. They are all excellent books and she makes knitting anything so simple. I also brought a book called knitting in the old way on Amazon. I will never have to buy another knitting book after getting that one for patterns as it contains every style I want to knit. In the past things I knitted for myself never fitted either to big or way to small. The above books taught me to knit using the EZ% system and it actually works. I am so pleased with the Norweigan jacket I made and it fits perfect. Believe me that is a mayor acheivement for me.
Muffy
At 3:55pm on April 4, 2010, Muffy said…
Hi Norma I am back from my trip to London.I knitted all the way there and back 8 hours in total. I Have started a Norwegian cardigan knitted in the round again. The troble is this one is in DK on 4mm needles and the other I just finshed was in Aran on 5 .50 mm. I feel like I am knitting with a real of sewing thread and needles. I dont seem to be getting anywhere, well I have aout 6 inches but it feels like 10 miles on go slow. It is plain Turqouise up to the armhole, and then I am going to do some cream patterns which will go a lot quicker, as you can see what you have done, at least you know that it is moving. I shall steek this one as well.
Happy knitting Muffy
At 5:43am on April 4, 2010, may assaf said…
hello. i was a nice weekend and i will stay like this as i see on weather site. ya i am doing some knitting and i am working on some knitting i think you don't know it here in canada it is dontel brutton. i don't know if i wrote the name right because i don't know French hehe . but it is so beautiful. and it is a plan piece of material and you do a design on it . i like this kind of knitting. i tried all kinds of knitting but i like this the best. have a nice and beautiful sunday and happy east to you
At 9:52pm on April 3, 2010, Sandra Flores said…
Although I do have a daughter, the baby in the photo is my niece. My daughter is 11. Down here, it's hard to find nice wool. Stores are limited and mostly I find cotton and acrylic. I have bought some nice wool in Austin when I've gone on business though. Quilting is something I do not do. I do not know the first thing about sewing. My mother & sister got that talent. Me... I picked up knitting a few years ago and am mostly self-taught... the wonders of the web. I've watched video after video trying to figure stiches out. I wouldn't say I'm an expert now but I can hold my own. I'll have to take pictures of some the socks I've made for Sammi. You have a wonderful Easter, too!
At 5:58pm on April 2, 2010, Sally Murray said…
No, quilting is about the only needlework we didn't have. At the time, my sister and I belonged to the Embroiderer's Guild of America (EGA). So, we had all the yarns and threads you would need to do any kind of embroidery. (Knitting was out of favor at that time. It seems to be recyclable.) After about a year, knitting was again gaining in popularity and we invested in knitting yarns. My sister and I have been doing knitting and embroidery for over 50 years. She, however is very involved in all needle-arts including quilting. My grandchildren are visiting, so I'm putting everything aside for the time being. I hope you have a very blessed and Happy Easter.--Sally
At 12:11am on April 1, 2010, Marian Lyons said…
Hi Norma,

Thanks for adding me as a friend, I usually knit toys my latest was bagpuss, I'm on ravelry under knuttieknitter61, but I have finally learned to crochet so my knitting has taken a back burner for now I am probably more interested in crochet than anything else and although I am a beginner I am already interested in - hairpin, broomstick and tunisian so I have been busy buying looms and afghan hooks ...... Not sure if I'm going to crochet toys as I dont think they look as nice as knitted, but I will be doing things for around the home and even garments. Speak soon
Marian
At 4:14am on March 31, 2010, Muffy said…
Norma there's a video on here about steeks which will give you some idea.
Mafanwy
At 4:04am on March 31, 2010, Muffy said…
Hi Norma,
Well it is snowing right now but not settleing. I have to go out in it till later and will write when I get back in and explain steeking etc. It was my first time doing it and I was PETRIFIED to do it. Now I am completely converted it uses less wool and eliminates most of the sewing up. It also means the knit side is always facing you and there is NO purling to do. I hate purling with a passion. The book I brought is very very good, I don't think I will have to ever buy a pattern again as i will never blindly follow a brought one again. SO the best £15 I ever spent. it tells you how to work out how many stitches you need, so what more does one need gives all the basic patterns.
Muffy
At 12:02pm on March 30, 2010, Muffy said…
Hi Norma, Your about me is identical to mine, at the moment I am knitting more than anything else. I live in the mountains of south Wales GB. I like knitting fair isle and Norwegian jackets of which I have just done my first complete with a steek up the front, sleeves, and neck.
I also have a load of slipper socks to make for my grown up kids. What are you making at the moment? which sweater workshop book are you talkign about June? is it the EZ one?I have that book
Muffy

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service