Button Hole Blues
I really didn’t get a whole lot of knitting done today. I wanted to, as always, but there was other work that needed to get done. So I spent the day mostly working on things that I had been putting off doing for my Website and laying out patterns. I figured I should probably put the finishing touches on the Sweet Sounds Collection since I had originally intended it going up in mid-January and at this rate I’ll be going on a month late if I put it off any longer. I did get that layout wrapped up, so there was some success.
Sweet Sounds Collection Cover
All Designs knit with Knit Picks yarns
Another thing that kept me busy was [attempting] to create a fan page on Facebook. This should not be a difficult thing. Facebook is supposed to be user friendly. Right? Sure.... Assuming photos and links will actually upload. I spent more time clicking the “reload” button, because apparently this site has issues, than I did actually writing content. Maybe tomorrow I’ll have more luck.
The only knitting I got done on Scotch Mary was early in the morning. I did exactly 2 rows. (Someone tell me why I picked the shortest month of the year to design and knit a sweater on US size 2(2.75mm) needles? Brilliant thinking eh? Better not lose the knitting mojo on this one. That’s all I can say.) Those two rows took me forever. I lost track of how long “forever” lasted. It could have been anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. The reason it took so long was I had come to the placement of the first button hole. I hadn’t thought that this little thing would give me such agony. I know how to make button holes. I’ve made loads of them recently while working on the Sweet Sounds Collection. No sweat. I wanted to place a 2 stitch button hole in the 6 stitches of 1x1 ribbing on the right front edge. I knit and ripped that button hole a good 7 times using variations on the reinforced button hole technique. The first time I thought it looked too tight, the second time was too sloppy, the third time.... well, I don’t really remember. By the fourth time I was getting mad. Five, six, and seven are a frustrated blur. Take eight saved my sanity. I worked a simple yarn over. It blends nicely into the ribbing, will fit the buttons I have, and didn’t make me lose the shred of sanity I still had left at this point. I know yarn over button holes aren’t the most stable, and they tend to stretch out over time, but I just couldn’t get the other way to look and feel satisfactory. The reinforced button hole would have had to be larger (more stitches) than I was willing to give it because the cotton doesn’t have any stretch and the resulting tidy little hole would have needed minuscule buttons.
Tomorrow I’m going to try and get some in progress photos of Scotch Mary. It’s been very gray here these days and I think tomorrow is going to be much the same, so I can’t promise beautiful pictures, but I’ll give it a shot.