I have been busy knitting all week, and have made a lot of progress, but have no finished knitted items to show for it.
I did however complete a dyeing project yesterday afternoon, and I want to tell you about it. When I did my first dyeing experiment (which I am learning it always will be), one of the ladies at our guild loved the way the locks took the gold color I had dyed. She asked if I would dye about 2 oz. of locks for her to use as hair on the needle felted projects she was working on this fall. She needed them by Nov 15 - our next guild meeting.In the mean time, I was fortunate enough to get to spend part of a day with my good friend, Carol, and she brought me some Leicester Long Wool to use for this little project. So, I did 1 oz. of the Polypay locks and 1 oz. of the Leicester Long Wool Locks.
Instead of being a really smart person and using the exact same forumla I did in my first dyeing experiment, I did each batch with a little bit different combination of colors, and experienced disasterour results. The first batch of the Polypay came out like this:
you really can't tell from the picture, but it is way too pink. So I over dyed it with the "good" forumula and it came out like this.
Still too pink and not what I wanted, so I did the same wool using just a little all black food coloring and am now satisfied with the dark brown locks it produced. The Leicester Long Wool also got two dyeings to make it a bit darker. This is the final result. Polypay brown on the left and Leicester Long Wool gold on the right.
I am working on two pair of socks - I know this is a bad thing, but I have made progress. I have completed the gusset decreases on both. So for the alpaca socks its all knitting from now on -
And for my Ginger Bread Socks, I will need to do two or three pattern repeats (12 rows each), and I should be on the toes.
Last but not least is my Montana Felted Tote (from Knitting Daily), which will be used as a diaper bag for my DIL. I also plan on a matching purse, which isn't started as yet. I have added the third of four colors and this picture shows the botton (all garter stitch), and one side (all knitted). The red is actually wine and the orange is Marsala - so it is darker than it appears in the picture.
Before my next blog, I expect to finish these two socks and start on the pairs and to have most of the diaper bag knitted. I will no doubt be including some spinning... but have only finished one skein this week.
Happy Knitting, Spinning, Dyeing and Felting. Susan