My CLC is chugging along. Soon I'll be ready to steek!!! Eek! Here's what it looked like before steeking:
And here is the finished CLC:
As you can see, it's up to the neck, and maybe you can't see that I've finished the purl row for the fold and have begun to work down the facing. Next comes the steek! The coilless safety pins mark the edges of the steek. I had them handy when I started the sweater, and I just kept with that method. I think I will try the crochet edge, but there's some mention in the pattern of piercing the yarn when sewing for the steek, so maybe I'll reinforce it somehow.
I'm doing the neck with two circs. It got a bit too small for one, but this is working well. I didn't do the BO for the underarms, so will be grafting them for a clean finish.
I'm also thinking about making an afterthought pocket. I actually thought about it when it could have been an "aforethought" pocket, but I decided it was easier to wait, so I could see exactly where I wanted to put it and how big to make it. I may use a single strand for the lining of the pocket, so it won't be bulky...at least until I put my snotty Kleenex into it!
I've been working with my new camera, taking photos of my completed quilts. It's fun to see the quilts show up so much like real life. Here's what my bedroom looks like right now:
The quilt on the bed is a replica of the quilt that was on my bed when I was growing up in Jamaica Plain, MA. At least, it's close to what I remember the quilt to look like. I didn't learn until years later that the fabrics were from the '30s, so the fabrics at least were already a few years old at the time.
The quilt is a wagon-wheel design, with blanket stitching around the wheels. I used reproduction fabrics and hand quilted the quilt. (As you know, I love hand work!) Here's a close-up.
At the foot of the bed is another replica quilt. It's a copy of a quilt a friend found in a thrift store. She paid $19 for it and was afraid they were going to pursue her out of the store, saying it was a mistake. I had goose bumps when she pulled it out of the bag at our quilt guild meeting! She let me take photos, and after some research, I discovered that the orange color was "tango," a '40s color, which I was able to reproduce after some research. I also hand quilted this one.
In the living room, I have the quilts already on display among the photos on my page: the log-cabin quilt and the quilts for the two dogs. In addition, there is an applique quilt I made in 2007, using three blocks from the house quilt in the book Home Sweet Home
. I have forgotten the name of the author and gave the book to a friend to use, so I can't refer to it, but it was a fun project.
I picked the three blocks I liked best, used the colors in my living room with black fabrics for background. I hand-appliqued and hand-quilted it, but I used the machine to sew the blocks together and piece the border. I used a braid border, rather than the swag that's in the book, because the swag would have made it too big to fit over my mantle.