This is supposed to be used to make knitted circles (like fabric yo-yos) or tubes that can be sewn together to make projects.
It was too difficult for the children to work easily so it went into a 'closet'. I'm not sure how or why it survived 4 moves without being sent to the thrift store, but it did. Then a few years ago I read an article in an issue of Spin-Off about how a woman used a knitting machine to knit up her yarn, dyed the flat knitted piece, and then ravelled it and knitted it into something else. (The story of the 'sock blank'.) I thought then that we could use this machine to do the same thing, only we would have a tube rather than a flat piece, but, like so many of my ideas, the time for testing the idea kept being put off. The other day, during a discussion on the DyeAlong, I decided now was the time. (Read the thread here.)
The next thing to do was to go looking for some handspun yarn to use. I found I didn't have any white, probably because I'm partial to grays, so I only spin white for specific projects.
I found this yarn in my handspun stash and decided it would do. (Sorry for the glare!)
This is wool from a fleece that was given to me. I think it is Jacobs, or at least a Jacobs cross.
The next step was to knit it up on the machine.
This is the knitted blank. I think it looks like a piece of 'knitted roving'.
Then we had the dying process. #6D is in the pink shirt. The other pair of hands belong to #7D, who can't be left out of anything!! (She's two in case you couldn't guess!)
Here's the finished dye job.
I wrapped it in plastic and steamed for 10-15 min. I don't remember exactly how long because I was getting children ready for bed at the same time.
The rinse was clear and we hung it up to dry.
Here's the final product.
I ravelled from both ends and wound it into a traditional ball (aka Didomum style =), then wound it the opposite way with the fold at the center and both ends at the outside.
I will be knitting fingerless mitts and an earband for #6D out of the yarn. PS She got to choose the colors. =))
Tons of fun, and now we are motivated for more dyeing. Thanks Peggy, and all the rest!!