What a week! Julie brought this quilt of Barbara's to Vintage Stitchers on Thursday:
She had finished the quilting. Barbara inherited it from a friend who passed away.
Barbara also showed us this lovely confection she had just finished piecing/appliquéing.
Then she asked our advice about borders for this Log Cabin quilt. Our group suggested one of the light fabrics for a border, with or without a dark skinny inner border. What do you think?
Diane has been busy, too. This is her completed "Hop to It!" quilt, from the book of the same name by Edyta Sitar. You may recognize the bunny block, which I used in Daphne's baby quilt.
Diane decided against the pieced sashing. She thought it was "too busy." That's part of the creative process, I think. Then she showed us this completed quilt. I told Diane I could use this for my my front deck. (See my June 3rd blog post for my deck furniture, same color scheme.)
I may have to duplicate it!
I've continued to work on my "Delectable Pathways" appliqué. I have a little bit done on the second panel. I'll try to have something to show next week.
Of course, I've been playing with my "new" loom. After finishing the second rug, I had some warp left on the loom and some scraps of the weft yarn left, too, so I kept weaving. Before I ran out of warp, I had enough for this tote bag:
I found handles for it at Joann's. I'm trying to decide whether I need to line it and use it for a purse or leave it as-is and use it for a knitting bag. Hmmmm....
Now that the rug (and the tote bag) are done, I've been able to dress the loom for the class project for the Craftsy class I'm taking, Janet Dawson's "Floor Loom Weaving." So far, I've always warped the loom from the front, but for the class, we're warping from the back, as you can see from this photo. One great trick the teacher suggested was propping the jacks up so the shafts were all higher, so you don't have to lean over so much to thread the heddles. She used a shuttle, but I used rolled-up newspaper.
Here's my finished warp, WotA Worsted in Hyacynth, Camel Heather, Currant and Bare.
I like this method of warping the loom.
Adding to the weaving fun for the week, Saturday was the weavers' guild (Mary Meigs Atwater Weavers Guild) meeting. Karan and I went together. We talked about quilting almost all the way to the hosting guild member's home. Here Karan is checking out the books available in a sale I can only characterize as "destash."
My mission was to find an electric bobbin winder. Success! I found this Schacht Double End Electric Bobbin Winder in the box behind the lady in the pink jacket in the above photo:
It was half the price of a new one from Schacht. I think it's also the same bobbin winder Janet Dawson demonstrates bobbin winding on in the Craftsy class!
Before the meeting some of the guild members met for a workshop in Shibori dyeing techniques using silk scarves. Here's a look at their scarves drying in the sun. To paraphrase the Klingon battle cry, "Today (Saturday, actually) is a good day to dye!"
Everyone who participated in the dyeing workshop showed off their scarves and talked about how they tied up their scarves for dyeing, as part of the usual show-and-tell. We had some great weaving projects, too.
I showed off my second bathroom rug and my tote bag. The weavers were very encouraging and complimentary. One of the weavers asked me how I got the weft so snug, and I explained that I had read that it was good (when making a weft-faced rug) to beat once with the shed still open, once with it closed, and then again with the next shed open. (Weavers will understand this, but non-weavers only need to know that I was able to talk about my technique for getting the weft yarn tight, so the warp didn't show.)
One of the highlights of the guild meeting was getting to see the host's fiber studio. this is just one corner of it:
She also had various other areas devoted to the fiber arts, including quilting. She had a gorgeous view out every window of her studio. (Pardon my drool!)
This past week has been "Knit in Public" week. I worked on the top to Daphne's Bunny Suit at the guild meeting, as well as other places in public during the course of the week. I'm on the second sleeve, and picked up the buttons for the openings at the shoulders while I was at Joanne's.
For cuteness, I have to report on my trip to Camp Hobé with Sunny. We rode up to the camp (in the mountains above Toelle, UT) with another Therapy Animals of Utah team. Sunny rode in the back with Captain Cowpants. New BFFs!
We had a good time with the kids, as always. In case you haven't clicked on the link, this summer camp is for kids impacted in some way by cancer, either by having it themselves or having a family member who has or had the disease. We had a nice assortment of teams this year, including Captain Cowpants and two other "pitties."