Knitting Community

If you have a favorite recipe (or several) that saves time, but is nutritious and tasty, please share it with us.

First some ground rules, to keep this working smoothly: Post your recipe in a new comment (in the box right under this that says "Reply to This." Then use the "Reply" button to add comments about the recipe or ask questions about it. Some chitchat is bound to happen, and that's OK. See a recipe you want to save? Just print screen or copy and paste to a new document. Try to keep your directions clear, and explain where to get any unusual ingredients. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Tags: Spinning, cooking, recipes, time-saving.

Views: 1862

Replies to This Discussion

I don't like mine with kidney beans.  They're too big.  I use black turtles or small red beans.  And I don't put nearly as much in as some people do.

I will eat it with beans but I much prefer it without.

I either use the light red kidney beans or small red beans myself... though I have used black beans...

Hmmm, definitely with beans.  The more and varied, the better.  Oh how delicious a bowl of Chili sounds right now, even if it is 1:15 a.m.

It's only useful in stuff like chili or spaghetti sauce. I've fed it to carnivores, and the have lived it.

I can't resist    ... ... ..."I've fed it to carnivores, and the have lived it."   Lived what? lol

Jo, "I'll bite!" ROFL! Nutty's right. That's what it is.

I love how vegetarians come up with meat dish names! I know, I know, we've fought over this before!

Pseudo Chai

I’ve modified and combined several recipes to create a chai type of spiced beverage that is sugar free and caffeine free.  I’m finally pleased with the results.  Any of the spices can be found at www.penzeys.com which is where I get the majority of the spices I use in my cooking.

2 Tablespoons cinnamon chunks

8 allspice berries

4 whole cloves

2 black peppercorns

16 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed

4 slices fresh ginger, lightly crushed

(I often use crushed dried slices since they are being boiled)

1 quart filtered water

With a mortar and pestle, coarsely grind the cinnamon, allspice, cloves and peppercorns. Transfer to a saucepan and crush the cardamom pods and ginger slices.

In a saucepan combine the spices and water.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover for 10 minutes.

Turn off heat and allow to stand, covered for 10 minutes.

Strain into a large measuring cup - I use a sieve for this - get the big pieces out first, since it is somewhat difficult to pour out of a saucepan.

Pour through a fine mesh tea ball or a filter paper in a funnel into a quart canning jar.  Screw on lid and band.

Refrigerate, the jar will probably seal, but please keep refrigerated. The mixture should last for at least a week if kept refrigerated.

To serve, pour an equal quantities of the spiced infusion and milk of your choice (I use vanilla soymilk) into a cup and microwave until hot.  I often add a teaspoon of brown sugar.  Honey is the traditional sweetener, but the traditional amount is far sweeter than I care for.

A nice bonus to this is that it makes the house smell wonderful!

Sounds delicious!

wow yummy!!!

Thanks for posting this here for us to all enjoy!

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service