Knitting Community

Has anyone knit baby socks? Do you have a pattern that you always go back to for them? I'm starting a charity to knit socks for all the newborn babies on the maternity room of my local hospital and I'd love some pattern suggestions.

Tags: baby, charity, small, sock

Views: 944

Replies to This Discussion

I found this set of free patterns on the internet a while ago, but I haven't had a chance to make any of them yet.

Attachments:

I have a book called "Cute Knits for Baby Feet" by Sue Whiting.  Every sock in there is delightful and sweet and fun to wear (I have several nieces and nephews for whom I knit regularly.  They especially love the animal socks.  Of course premies don't care what the socks look like, but if they get to keep them until they grow up, a cute little duck-foot sock could be very special.  There's also a GREAT book called "Simple Knits for Cherished Babies" by Erika Knight.  There's a great little bootie sock pattern in there that literally takes about an hour to knit (both!) and it's perfect for premies because it's so easy to get on!  Good luck.  Many rewards coming your way because these gifts will be treasured beyond measure. 

Here's a free pattern for a simple sock that should be quick to knit. You can make them larger or smaller by changing needle size.

http://mycreativespirit.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/basic-baby-socks-o...

Babies tend to kick off their socks, so an eyelet round at the ankle with a twisted cord tie might be a nice addition. It calls for fingering weight yarn.

If you want a greater selection, here's the page of free baby sock patterns on Ravelry:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=capt...

I second Better than Booties. I couldn't get Kayli's link to work (might just be my computer) so here's a link to the download:

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/14020.aspx

I've been known to take the basic construction of one of these socks (I especially like the short-row heel in this pattern) but leave out the fancy cables and lace and such and just make a plain sock.

That's a good one, also free. And note that you don't have to sign up for their newsletter to download it, but you have to be a member of their website.

Thanks for putting the link up, Sarah! I wasn't sure if the file would work or not, and I couldn't remember where it came from.

Your link worked for me on my iPad. Sometimes different computers work differently, I think.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I like the better than booties, but they look like they would fall off, because there is no ribbing. I've come up with my own baby sock pattern, And I'll share it here soon. Thanks again!

Bridget, I have nothing to add. But it is so nice seeing you here. It's been awhile. I'm sure school has kept you busy. I think it is terrific that you are starting this sock charity. I know the moms will really appreciate it.

Thanks! Great to be back. I have to get in contact with my friend who's helping me with the charity, but I'm hoping to round up a bunch of knitters in my area.

I'm sure there are people here and on Ravelry who might want to help also. It never hurts to ask. If you ask for people to send you socks, be sure to give your pertinent info only in PMs rather than in the public area.

Good advice counselor!

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service