Knitting Community

My favorite way to knit mittens is to begin with a thumb. I begin at the tip of the thumb and work increases until the thumb fits on my thumb. Then I work straight until the thumb fits my thumb. I put the thumb onto waste yarn and put it to one side. Then I begin at the tip of the mitten and increase until the mitten fits over all my fingers. I knit until the mitten fits to my thumb. I knit the thumb in with a three needle bind off, then I work to the rib and finish the mitten. The thumb looks like an afterthought thumb.

There is a picture of a partially complete mitten at

http://juliesyarnshoppe.weebly.com/knitting.html

Views: 300

Replies to This Discussion

How fun!  And easy!  This would be great for making mittens for my kids.  No swatching involved.  Just pick up and start.  It's like a toe-up sock.  Knit to fit!  Wonderful and thanks for sharing!

Are there any instructions???

Jennifer

I too would like some instructions. This sounds interesting but I need a guide or at least I think I do:-)

I have some basic instructions on my blog. You can find it at  http://juliesyarnshoppe.weebly.com/knitting.html

The link didn't work for me.

Sorry about that. Try the link in my first post (at the top) - it does work.

Julie, the link in the post here didn't work for me, either, but I used the one at the top of the page. 

I really am intrigued by your cast-on method.  I'll have to try that next time. 

And what a wonderful template!!  To plug your own colorwork scheme in!!  That is so well done and very generous.  I love it!  Thank you so much!

edited to add:  Julie, I had read your post here, went to your blog and read some more, then later that day someone asked me about kool-aid dyeing on Ravelry so I linked her to your instructions... then a couple days later we go into kool-aid dyeing conversation here in the Dye-a-Long and linked to your website, but had already forgotten how I'd found you in the first place!  Lol.  I just realized it right now.  :)  So, anyway, if you're interested, the Dye-a-Long conversation here on KP is HERE.  You may have some words of wisdom you want to add.  :)

I've never seen a mitten done this way. Very interesting!

Same here - very interesting indeed!  Will give it a try sometime soon.  :)

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service