Knitting Community

By now, you have finished the cuffs of your mittens.  Now you can either knit a gusseted thumb or an afterthought thumb.  Both have advantages, it's really up to you.  But if you knit a gusseted thumb, you start your increases shortly after you finish the cuff, so that's why you need to decide now. 

If you decide to knit a gusseted thumb, these videos will help you to place your increases and make a gusset.  

If you are knitting an afterthought thumb, you just knit a few stitches with a piece of scrap yarn where you want your thumb opening to be.  We will discuss afterthought thumbs more next week.  In the meantime, knit 2-3 inches plain (the measurement from your wrist to where your thumb starts).

Enjoy your knitting!

Views: 2637

Replies to This Discussion

Kasey, are you planning to work them flat or working them in the round? Working a gusset is easier in the round. In fact, I've never seen a gusset worked flat. That doesn't mean it hasn't been done and can't be done, I've just never seen it done. You could easily make a space for an afterthought thumb if you knit flat and then seam the sides without leaving a hole for the thumb. And then work the afterthought thumb.

I would like to suggest you start this same discussion in the Ask the Fair Godknitters KAL. The reason being this is a group of knitters with all experience levels who aim to help those with all kinds of problems. I think more more active members would see your request there than here.

Leaving your discussion here is no problem, I just want more people to see it.

THANKS!!! :D 

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service