Knitting Community

Welcome to the Learn to Knit KAL! Tell us something about yourself. Why do you want to learn to knit? Or, if you're already a knitter, how did you learn?

Views: 160

Replies to This Discussion

The other day someone was asking about yarn substitutions (like two strands of fingering weight = one strand of sport weight, etc.), and we couldn't find it under "learn." Someone finally found it in one of the KALs. I'm sure things could be improved so it's easier to find what you need, but it's great having this kind of help!
I have tried to knit before and found out I was doing it ALL wrong. I recently started over on a scarf and learned to purl.
Congratulations, Meg. That is terrific. You know there are really only two stitches in knitting: Knitting and Purling. Everything else is just a variation of those two stitches.
And they're really the same st but made from the opposite side of the knitting.
True!

Hi I'm Jamie, I learned to knit with you tube videos.  I wanted to learn to knit after I listened to the Blossom Street book series by Debbie Macomber.  I am 31 and have 5 children, four girls and one boy, so I have lots of little people who love everything I make no matter what!  I have been knitting scarves, and hair ties for them and now I am knitting a hat for my two year old.  I am also knitting some dish clothes for my Grandmother.  I hope to make some cat toys and stuff them with cat nip for Christmas for some family pets, plus several other gifts I have planned.  I have only been knitting for about a month and so far I have learned knit stitch, purl stitch, increasing, decreasing, binding off, knitting in the round on circular needles, the magic loop method, and fringe making for scarves.  I purchased a book of toys that I want to make for my children, but a lot of them are made with DPN's which I have not learned, I am hoping to convert them all to the magic loop method.  I have also found that so far I am not to fond of patterns :(  I have not tried to use any yet really.  I look at them and try to make sense of what the pattern is doing and then just wing it.  It has worked fine for simple things but I know it probably will not for more complicated items.  I suppose I will have to break at some point and do a pattern.  I love knitpicks and have been listening to Kelley's podcast and learning so much, I was so excited with my first order from them and I can't wait to see the catalog!   I am having fun and looking forward to participating in this community!  :)

Welcome, Jamie! You will find lots of help here if you need it. Magic loop will work great for anything that calls for dpns. You just have to divide the piece in half. Some people use two circular needles to do the same thing. Toys are best knitted in the round, I think, so you have less seaming up to do. Good for you to have the nerve to take off once you have the idea! It took me years to be able to do that! The Knit Picks Podcast is my favorite, too! (Although I also enjoy the Knit Wits Podcast, which has less knitting and more just fun.) I collect the catalogs and get almost all my materials from KP. Let us know if you need help!

Hello- I'm Denise.  I've been trying to learn to knit since Dec. 2010.  I've taken a class in person last year and now am enrolled in a few online classes through Craftsy.  I've started a few projects, but have not finished anything YET.  I am determined to finish the project from the Knit Lab online course and am almost halfway.

I'm slightly obsessed with knitting books, but I want to get past being obsessed with the books and really get into the business of making projects:) 

I look forward to learning from others on here:)

Hey, Denise, Peggy Stuart is the one who usually keeps this group going, but she is currently staying with her son and DIL awaiting her 4th grandchild. The baby was at risk at being too early. Now he is past his due date and seems to refuse to make an appearance. Let us know if you have any questions and we will do our best to help.

Here is a suggestion to finish your first project. You might pick it up for 10 to 15 minutes a day until you have it completed, or say you might do X number of rows a day. And before you know it you will be finished!

Also, if you are a member of Ravelry (it is a free group), you might check out Ravelympics n/k/a Ravellinics. Surely there is a newbie group you might consider joining to help you challenge yourself to get your first project completed. Or maybe you are a process knitter (enjoy the process more than completing a project) rather than a project knitter (needing to complete projects). There is nothing wrong with being a process knitter. I consider myself part of that group.

Thanks Cheryl.  I have been trying to do a little each week (I try to say daily, but sometimes that is too ambitious with an almost 2 yr. old running around:).  I like your tips though.  It does seem like I'm a process knitter, but I really, really do want to be a project one!  The goal is to make gifts for people.  I am making progress though, and I see that the more I do it, the better it is (although I had some snafus yesterday).

I am on Ravelry, but i don't check it frequently enough.  I'll check out Ravellinics.

Thanks again for the welcome and I will definitely post WHEN i finish the project.

Good luck to Ms. Stuart and her 4th grand-baby.

Yes, one of my favorite examples is that Yo-Yo Ma would not be the terrific musician he is today, if he hadn't practiced, practiced, practiced. Learning anything takes practice. And there are so many knitting techniques to achieve the same look. You just have to be willing to try the different techniques and find what works best for you.

I was able to get about 5 rows in last night, so I'm proud.  I'll try again this evening.  Thanks for the encouragement.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service