That is gorgeous! Love the color, the spinning, the knitting and the pattern!
Elaine, These are lovely! I really like the lilac, even though it isn't more even... I like shading.
Thank you ,Susan. After I spin the lilac, I'm thinking of returning it to the dyepot to see what would happen.
Oh no! It's gorgeous. I love it!
beautiful! my two fave colors :) oh, i think i'll have to add sage to my wish list!
About the sage, I had an old skein of Lion Brand in sage. I liked the color but the Lion Brand was too course and scratchy for me. So when I dyed this I just kept gradually adding a little more dye stock every 15 minutes and got really close to the color I was shooting for. I do fine getting a nice even color on yarn. On the lilac, I should have used 2 teaspoons of ammonium sulfate, but I was not sure at the time. The reason I think that is because the color struck the fiber immediately. With the ammonium sulfate it should have slowed down and evened out the strike. I get nervous moving roving around too much as it can get very compacted and not alot of fun to get it drafting nicely to spin. Also I used the bridal veil in the roving batch and it worked very well. It made it so easy to lift the roving and add the citric acid.
Elaine I was thinking of you the other day when I was reading a post on ravelry about fluffing up dyed/compacted rovings. They steam their rovings to open the fibers up.
I love the tonal look of the lilac, very beautiful!
ETA - did you take any pictures of your bridal veil in the roving batch? I use tulle netting for cleaning locks, but have considered doing the same thing you're talking about. I'd love to see some pics if you have them.
Thank you and thank you for the tip on steaming.. Sorry I did not take any pics of the bridal veil. I use a 22 quart Turkey Roaster for my dyepot. I laid my roving on the bridal veil in an 'S' formation the same as it would fit in the roaster and put it in my presoak. When the presoak was done, I prepared my dyepot, then I just lifted the bridal veil with the roving on top out of the presoak, gently squeezed excess water out and put the whole thing in the dyepot. It made it easy to grab the corners of the bridal veil and lift the whole thing, stir the pot and then lower the whole thing back down in.
Ooh, I think that roving is going to spin up lovely.