Knitting Community

I am new here.  I am knitting a baby hat.  Directions say provisional cast on and I knit on the crochet chain I get all that but what I am not clear of is I have taken out the chain and put the stitches on circular needles so i have 2 sets but I don't know how to join them.  any suggestions would help.  I watched the tutorial for provision cast on I get it but it doesn't tell me what to do once I have the stitches on needles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Polly

Views: 186

Replies to This Discussion

What pattern are you using? Is it one that's online that we can look at?
no it is on the skein of yarn.  what it tells me to do is cast on 73 stitches using the provisional cast on.  join in round and knit 3 rows.  next row is yarn over knit 2 together.  next 3 rows knit. now take out crochet chain and pick up stitches on another set of needles and join with your top stitches.  Not sure correct directions for this last row.  I don't have it with me right now.

Is it kind of like this pattern where you're making a double thickness layer for either just over the ears or for the whole hat?

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/monmouth.htm

It also sounds to my that you are basically doing a brim that is essentially doubled up, with the yo's and k2tog creating a sort of picot edging for the hat.

so essentially you will now have a set of stitches on one needle at the bottom and a matching set of stitches on another needle at the top. fold it in half, the yo/k2tog row should be the middle, match up the beginnings of your round on the top and bottom needle and simply knit those two stitches together - for example, it will be like doing a k2tog with one stitch from your top needle and one stitch from the other needle. Then, you will be back to your original number of stitches and you have joined the brim, doubling it up.

that is it...oh my gosh!  Jenny you see it you're amazing!

thank you!

Super! Glad to hear that helped...I know things can get easily lost in translation when it comes to knitting :)

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service