Knitting Community

Information

Colorwork KAL

The group for anyone who loves colorwork knitting or would like to learn. Kerin & Alison will be visiting regularly to offer ideas, support, encouragement, and advice.

Members: 485
Latest Activity: on Thursday

Colorwork Reference Info

Knitters have been asking, so here it is, the whole enchilada, all the Palettecolors artfully arranged in one enormous photo. (Click for bigger.) I make no guarantees about color accuracy on your monitor, but this way you'll see relationships between colors, since they're right next to each other in one shot. Enjoy!

Melissa explains how to use this picture of the spectrum of Palette colors to select colors for your next knitted colorwork project.

Group member Cheryl Waters has created an excellent reference sheet for keeping track of which Palette yarn you have in your stash! You can download the PDF here: PaletteColors2011.pdf

To see the current Palette line up to plan your next colorwork project, check out the pdf below. It includes all 150 colors of Palette, including a black & white version, which helps determine the contrast between shades for colorwork projects!

Palette 2012 - 150 colors!

If you're looking for pattern ideas, browse our selection of Knit Picks and IDP fair isle and colorwork patterns.

Discussion Forum

Lofoten Pullover

Started by JB. Last reply by Peggy Stuart on Thursday. 57 Replies

Tudor Roses Anyone?

Started by Peggy Stuart. Last reply by Peggy Stuart Aug 25. 32 Replies

Diving head first into colorwork

Started by Alexandra Preston. Last reply by Peggy Stuart May 28. 11 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Colorwork KAL to add comments!

Comment by cherylbwaters on August 21, 2009 at 7:24pm
Jolie, KP has really been coming up with lots of great new items.
Comment by Jolie Pollard on August 21, 2009 at 7:22pm
I'm getting closer to getting this design together! Although another order of Palette is required! I have to have the new pinks!
Comment by kittyknits on August 21, 2009 at 4:51pm
Melissa, yes it does. I am really excited about this KAL. I have wanted to do colorwork but was "afraid", but now with all my new friends for support I know I can do it.
Comment by Melissa on August 21, 2009 at 4:35pm
It's a colorwork free-for-all! Anything goes! You don't have to have a pattern at all if you don't want one. Does that answer your question, kittyknits?
Comment by cherylbwaters on August 21, 2009 at 1:53pm
kittyknits, I don't think there is one specific pattern. I don't see anything about it having to be a KP pattern.
Comment by kittyknits on August 21, 2009 at 1:33pm
Can we use any pattern or do we need to use one from KP? I am very excited to get started, this group came at a good time for me. Now is I can just keep my schedule with all my other projects I will be in fine shape.
Comment by cellogirl on August 21, 2009 at 11:27am
What is this about a colorwork mystery, Melissa? Thanks for the fabulous pic of all of the colorways!! It's fantastic for designing--I just got Starmore's book Celtic and I'm so excited about her use of color juxtaposition--your arrangement makes it so easy!! The almost exhaustive value range is superb!! We can all paint with yarn for our creations!!
Comment by Peggy Stuart on August 20, 2009 at 4:36pm
That's what I thought at first, too, but then I wondered, where are the muted tones?
Comment by Melissa on August 20, 2009 at 2:32pm
Suzie,
Funny you say that--I just noticed that when I was playing with the image a few minutes ago. The reflection thing is even more pronounced when there aren't captions.
Comment by SuzieKnits on August 20, 2009 at 1:49pm
I love this photo of all the balls of yarn piled up so orderly! In fact, the way the colors are arranged and the image cropped makes the very bottom row look like a reflection in water or a mirror.....Very cool!

Members (485)

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service