Knitting Community

I am curious what project and yarn each of us is going to try and why.

Do you need help picking a first time project and yarn? Here are some tips:

Yarn

- worsted weight is great for beginning projects because it is easy to see the
stitches and "read" your work.

- cotton/silk/bamboo/acrylic re NOT a good fiber choice for first
project.  They don't have much give so any inconsistencies in stitches
tend to show up more. Wool/alpaca/blends are more forgiving and will also respond
well to blocking to even out stitch gauge and shaping.

Pattern

Balance the complication - simple stitches or single color with more advanced
shaping OR several stitch types or colors with simple shaping.  Since all
crochet stitches are based on the chain, don't be afraid of trying a pattern
with more than single crochet and double crochet stitches.  We can help
you through the tricky parts.

Most of all, pick a yarn and pattern that you really love to invest your time
and talent in!

Tags: choosing project, crochet pattern, crochet yarn, first time crochet

Views: 222

Replies to This Discussion

Gorgeous stuff!
The wool Finn, and was a dream to spin!! I'm finding in the crocheting part of it, though, that I don't want to make mistakes and have to rip out. Because it's a single and lace weight, and one of my first spinning projects, if there are any snags, it tends to break. :(
If it does break, shouldn't you be able to splice it back together pretty easily?
You can't splice a singles except by using the 'felt the two ends together' method. This is so thin that I don't want to give it that rough handling. I've just been overlapping the ends and crocheting with the two together for a couple of stitches. And I have learned that I should have had more twist in the singles when I was spinning. Also, I didn't 'set' the twist in this. I started crocheting with it straight off the wheel. It was definitely a 'live and learn' project. But a good one! I think it will still be beautiful. It is for #2D aka Banana Cream Pie. (In case everyone here isn't in the loop since I spend more time in the SpinAlong - I have 11 children and I got tired of typing numbers so I've started using their nicknames when I refer to them here on KP.)
Lovely, looks super light.
Oh perrddyy!!
I had tried to learn to crochet many years ago with my grandmother as a teacher.  I never really got far with it and set it aside.  Recently I decided to take it back up.  With the help of YouTube videos I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong all those years ago and fix it.  So, I just started playing with some acrylic yarn I had on hand, made a washcloth. Then I read that the acrylic wouldn't get dry easily between uses, so I picked up some worsted weight cotton and played with that for a bit, made maybe 4 washcloths just to work on even stitches and figuring things out. The cotton is not stretchy and feels rough to my hands so I wasn't in love with it, but the washcloths turned out nice.  Then I picked up a bamboo/wool blend to make some pot holders.  I used a video called "magic potholder" and used the shell stitch, which just alternates a single and double crochet.  That looked really pretty, and I really like the yarn.  So I used up 2 skeins of that and made I guess 6 or so potholders.  Then I got adventurous and found a huge ball of cotton (Bernat about 600 yds) on half price, couldn't pass that up, so then I pondered, what to do.  I decided on a shopping bag and just figured that out as I went, made the base in sc, most of the rest in dc, it turned out pretty cute, sort of stretches long when full, so maybe will work on that design if I make another.  And then I decided to get brave and felt a cover for my IPad...so for that I went to 100% wool of course, I wish I had made it bigger, I followed someone's directions and they were not generous enough.  It is pretty but I would have liked to let it felt down more, but then it wouldn't fit the IPad.  8 )  Then I got really brave (or foolish, jury is still out) and decided to make a felted cover for a laptop.  Without paying enough attention I chose a yarn based on the color and grabbed 2 skeins and even once I started I didn't give much notice to the fact that it was DK weight!  And I committed to sc for the whole thing, in the round.  Well, I am happy with the end result but it took a LONG time to work out.  Fortunately I was traveling and it gave me something to do during the down time.  With it I gave a generous 25% oversize so I could felt it until it had the look I wanted.  It is sitting blocked, waiting to be lined.  So I jumped in with a bunch of things.  I have to say, if I am going to spend a lot of my time I want a yarn that feels nice to my hands and that will look good a year from now.  I joined the sock crochet along but I am cheating, I am just using a worsted weight, I am not ready to commit to the time needed to use sock weight!  I want to make an afghan in Catherine's Wheel, but I am not ready to jump into that because I am afraid I will lose interest long before it is finished with my present speed.

Welcome Carole.

Just keep doing what makes you happy.  I'v made several Bavarian crochet baby ghans, similar to Catherine's Wheel but I like it better.  You are basically finished every 2 rows.  If you get too bored you can stop at some point and turn it into something else.  pillow, lapghan...

Glad to have you, Carole. Knit Picks has nothing but nice yarn that feels good in your hands :) (No, I don't work for them LOL) It sounds like you've learned a lot in a short time. I haven't done felting yet myself. It's on my list. Have you posted pictures of your projects? I'll have a look on your page.

My vote is it was a very brave thing to do!  The laptop cover, that is.  Sounds like you are a woman who knows what she wants and goes for it!  I think you'll find yourself exploring lots of ideas and creating many more beautiful things! Congratulations!

And I agree with Anna, KP yarn is very good.  I've yet to find one I didn't like the feel of.  If you want a little softer feel, but a cotton yarn for wash cloths and such things, try Comfy, a cotton/acrylic blend, (comes in worsted, sport, fingering), Shine, a cotton/Modal blend, (comes in worsted and sport), or CotLin, a DK weight cotton/linen blend.  The other fibers in all of these help cut down on the stiffness/scratchiness cotton alone can have.

Carole, I don't crochet but I love seeing what everyone is doing here. Such lovely FOs (finished objects). I don't think I've used a KP yarn that I haven't liked.

Just a hint on felting from a knitting perspective. Not sure if the same thing applies with crochet. I do like my felted projects to be where there is no stitch definition left. Most of the time I usually get about 25% shrinkage. When felting, the general rule is that animal fiber will felt and plant fiber or manmade fiber won't. Another general rule is that it needs to be at least 75% wool. Also different types of wool will felt differently from others. And different colors in the same wool can felt differently. White often doesn't felt as well as other colors. And when felting, it usually shrinks more from top to bottom than it does from side to side.

If a project needs to be a certain size when finished, it is a good idea to do a swatch. I usually do a 6" x 6" swatch. Then I take some cotton (so it won't felt) and mark a 4" x 4" swatch within it. I check my gauge and write it down. Then I wash my swatch as I would wash my project. Once I have a nice tight fabric, I measure how much my 4" x 4" swatch shrank. Then I will be able to know how big I need to make my project. It doesn't necessarily mean it will come out to an exact size, but usually it comes out pretty close. That is part of the fun of felting. It's always an experiment.

And I agree with Nutty's analysis of KP's cottons. My brother loves hand knit washcloths and really likes the feel of Comfy.

Anyway, glad you have joined the group.

Thanks to everyone for welcome.  I have also recently re-taken-up knitting but for me it is much more challenging.  With it I have just made scarves and truly simple practice swatches. I am getting better.  I need to take a final picture of the laptop cover and I will get one of my kids to help me post the pictures.  I am going to order some KP yarn tomorrow on payday!  On the IPad cover I didn't really estimate 25% larger, I did the number of stitches the pattern recommended.  It is still cute, and does the job of protecting it, plus it cost about 5 dollars and my time, not the 30 and up I see for the pre made ones at the store.  It is probably a good idea to swatch and wash/felt but I find I am terribly impatient once I get an idea in my head and just sort of dive in.  So far, so good....however before I start an afghan I will have a complete game plan, I don't want to mess something that large up!

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service