Knitting Community

I am curious what project and yarn each of us is going to try and why.

Do you need help picking a first time project and yarn? Here are some tips:

Yarn

- worsted weight is great for beginning projects because it is easy to see the
stitches and "read" your work.

- cotton/silk/bamboo/acrylic re NOT a good fiber choice for first
project.  They don't have much give so any inconsistencies in stitches
tend to show up more. Wool/alpaca/blends are more forgiving and will also respond
well to blocking to even out stitch gauge and shaping.

Pattern

Balance the complication - simple stitches or single color with more advanced
shaping OR several stitch types or colors with simple shaping.  Since all
crochet stitches are based on the chain, don't be afraid of trying a pattern
with more than single crochet and double crochet stitches.  We can help
you through the tricky parts.

Most of all, pick a yarn and pattern that you really love to invest your time
and talent in!

Tags: choosing project, crochet pattern, crochet yarn, first time crochet

Views: 222

Replies to This Discussion

I had already purchased the Dreams Lace Shawl and gotten the yarn. So all I have to do is start. Yeah ME!!
Susan
I just brought this today too. I ordered the yarn, this may be out of my leauge... But I love the design...so much :-)
That is a really pretty shawl and I have some Shadow Tonal in Queen Anne to use with it also. I may have to do this pattern in the coming year 2011. I can't start anything new till after the holidays.
The Dreams Lace Shawl is gorgeous. I love Kim Guzman's patterns. It's going to be a fun project to work on. Which yarn are you using? What color?
Hi Allison,
I am thinking about Shadow Tonal in Summer Bloom or Queen Anne. I have not decided yet. I think they would both look great. I think I am leaning more toward the Queen Anne.
Susan
Wow that is a tough choice- both are so beautiful. So pretty and summery! Both will transition to Fall really well, too, since pastels and deep brights are going to be in style. Think how pretty the Queen Anne would be with your coloring and the shawl worn up around your neck more like a scarf.
Thank you. That is what I was thinking also. I wanted something that I would get some "mileage" out of. :)
Susan
Hi all! I was so excited when I heard about this. I am planning to make a pattern called Pineapple Top, I'd been waiting for 'just the right yarn' to come along, the new Stroll Tonal in Summer Blooms will be perfect.
Is it the Amazing Crochet Pineapple top? That one is really pretty and will look good on so many body types. Two strands of Tonal is a perfect yarn for it, too. I can't wait to see it in the bright Summer Blooms colors.
yes that's the one, I posted a picture on my page of it. I decided to do it in fingering weight and not double stand the lace weight.
I am going to try to tackle the babette Blanket. It is sooooooo beeyootiful. My crochet needs a little help though. I'm not so good at visualizing the stitches like I do with knitting. And joining the squares together is going to take some work!

Peace

Lori

--
Lori Patterson
Customer Service
The Babette Blanket is such a great way to play with color! Garnny squares are such a great first project becasue you learn a lot of techniques in small bites and you have the satisfaction of completing little bits at a time.

I agree that putting all those squares together is like a whole other project LOL. I am posting some options for putting pieces together under tips and trick thread so it will be easier to find.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service