Knitting Community

Post your photos here.

I'm still working on the Gaywool fiber:

Tags: fiber, spinning

Views: 20872

Replies to This Discussion

Beautiful, Susan.

Nice! It will be fun to see how it turns out!

The pic is on the last page of this discussion.

Just finished the pink singles.  I'll let them rest on the bobbin and ply them tomorrow.  Pictures to follow... Ooooooh, and more goodies arrived in today's mail - a white Targhee fleece from Montana!

Oh, Targhee... one of my absolute favs!  It is one of my top 3-4 all time favs for spinning.

I like the Targhee so far, almost as fine as Merino, but not as spendy.  I've got a black and white spotted fleece from a local shepherd (mostly black).  The fleece I got today is a white one from a range sheep out west.  Dirty, but not much veg that I can see - at least not yet - I haven't pulled it all the way out of the box.

Finished plying the pink yarn - ended up with 360 yards.  Gave it a warm bath, it shed a little color, but red tones tend to do that I guess.  I gave it a spin and it is drying now - lovely mauve color when wet.  I'll get pictures and weight when it dries.

Well, the skein is dry now.  Here are the vital statistics: 97 grams, 360 yards chain plied, singles spindle spun clockwise, wheel plied counterclockwise 15 treadles on fast end of Louet two ended bobbin.  Source materials were Pink Romney, Gray Corriedale and a bit of white icicle sparkle fiber.  Here's a picture of the finished yarn:

Lovely!

Thanks!  It's been fun to work with this from raw fleece to finished yarn.

That's lovely!

Thanks! It has been fun to do.  Started with some of the nastiest fleece I ever bought (ebay - so I didn't get to see it first) and figured that it was so bad that I'd learn to dye with it since I had nothing to lose if the fleece was destroyed.  Sometimes there is a happy surprise at the end of this little rainbow...

It's at the beginning of my blog if you want to read the whole story.

http://karen-wizardsworkshop.blogspot.com/

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service