Knitting Community

This weekend I dyed a batch of Leicester Longwool that I'd had a while... the fiber looks marvelous!

This afternoon I tried spinning this long stuff!  And I mean it is long... the shortest lengths are at least 6" long... and some are evenlonger.  It wants to be spun finely... it will not go thick at all.  It was so hard to spin that I tried making a rolag and that was a little bit better, but still difficult... So I just finished carding the whole pile... well it's only 10 oz. and fits into a gallon zip lock baggie...Here is the first part of the spinning I did today... this will be a very slow process.

Views: 5419

Replies to This Discussion

I have a knitting bag that a friend got me... one side says "Knit, Susan, knit".  and the other side says "See Susan Knit."

How fun!

Everyone who sees it love it.

Wow!  I like this.

It is nice, isn't it... she had a time getting the dye to take right...

What did she use to dye it?  Food coloring?  What kind of problem was she having? 

She used the Wilton's for dye... and was trying to get a good deep blue... but apparently didn't have enough dye for the amount of fiber, and added the dye to the pot after putting in the fiber, so the dye separated as it entered the pot. 

Ok, that's what I thought might have happened.  I wonder if she had added just a very slight amount of vinegar (assuming she used vinegar as opposed to citric acid) to the dye bath in the very beginning and then waited to see how the dye was taking up if she would have had it break when she added more dye.  I found adding the vinegar in smaller amounts and letting it sit for a bit before adding more gave me a 'more even' results. 

It's beautiful though!

If I'm not mistaken, she already had the vinegar in the dye pot prior to adding fabric and then dye...

She can always over dye it to get it a deeper blue.

That is what she is thinking about doing.

That would be very pretty too! 

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service