Knitting Community

This weekend I dyed a batch of Leicester Longwool that I'd had a while... the fiber looks marvelous!

This afternoon I tried spinning this long stuff!  And I mean it is long... the shortest lengths are at least 6" long... and some are evenlonger.  It wants to be spun finely... it will not go thick at all.  It was so hard to spin that I tried making a rolag and that was a little bit better, but still difficult... So I just finished carding the whole pile... well it's only 10 oz. and fits into a gallon zip lock baggie...Here is the first part of the spinning I did today... this will be a very slow process.

Views: 5419

Replies to This Discussion

It is very squishy!  But super soft.  I love this fiber...oh, wait, I think I've said that about 5 times.

LOL... THAT is funny... love when the little ones think stuff like that... their whole world DOES revolve around them... I really don't know what I'm going to do with it right now... I have 14 more ounces to work with and plenty of different colors of dye.  We shall see. 

Well, I may not be three, but I still think the world revolves around me!

I also did a blog about it... you can see the blog here.

so so PRETTY!!!  Really love the color (and slight variations of it) and how soft and fluffy it looks!

I really love that color Susan...coral/salmon colored fiber sends me over the moon!

Thanks Beverly, so glad you enjoyed it.

So this was an experimental yarn on many levels.  First, it is mystery fleece, got it for free after doing a spinning demo.  A fellow spinner said that it looks like it may be part merino, but no clue what the other part(s) may be.  It isn't the softest stuff so I would guess that if it does have merino, it's not a large percentage.  Second, this was the first fleece that I skirted and washed on my own.  It didn't endear me to processing raw fleece, but I don't have the best set up so I think that may make a difference in the future if I decide to attempt it again.  Third, this was the first fleece that I dyed in the oven.  I used kool-aid which I have done before, but I did the whole thing in aluminum roasting pans.  I didn't get the saturation that I was looking for, but still loved the colors that I got.  And finally, this is the first complete skein that I Navajo plied on my drop spindle.  It was very frustrating, but I finally got it figured out towards the end.  Extremely time consuming, but I managed to keep the color progressions together for the most part which was the whole point of the dye job in the first place.  I still have about 2oz left to spin and then do the plying, but for the first skein I ended up with 119yds 1.66oz.  

Dawn!  Wow, this turned out really nice.  I think you should call this "The First" skein, since it was produced with so many firsts... great job.  And I love the colors... they go together so very well.  Your spinning looks excellent to me.

Last night I was reading on Ravelry how some people navajo ply by chaining their plying ball and then you don't have to chain while plying.

I think you did a great job, Dawn.

Do you have a link for this?  I'm confused - lol.

I find that confusing, too.  I've seen videos of n-plying, where you spin a bit, unwind,  and then n-ply (i.e. chain ply), then re-wind onto the spindle... but once you chain ply, it is plied. I've also seen them put the ball into a container and ply directly from a ball of singles (n-plying as you go along)... either way would work.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service