Knitting Community

This weekend I dyed a batch of Leicester Longwool that I'd had a while... the fiber looks marvelous!

This afternoon I tried spinning this long stuff!  And I mean it is long... the shortest lengths are at least 6" long... and some are evenlonger.  It wants to be spun finely... it will not go thick at all.  It was so hard to spin that I tried making a rolag and that was a little bit better, but still difficult... So I just finished carding the whole pile... well it's only 10 oz. and fits into a gallon zip lock baggie...Here is the first part of the spinning I did today... this will be a very slow process.

Views: 5357

Replies to This Discussion

I just finished spinning my first skein of Polwarth... I'm in love with this fiber.

124 yards, 2.2 ounces, about sport weight to DK I think.

A close up.

I'm loving this fiber as well. I have another batch in my dye pot right now. The dyeing is getting easier and I love spinning this fiber. Are you planning on dyeing this?

I'm thinking about kettle dyeing it... not 100% sure about a color though. 

That is so lovely!  Awesome job, Susan!

Thanks... it was easy with this fiber.  If you haven't tried Polwarth, I highly recommend it.

I have some in my stash.  It wasn't on the top of my to do list, but I think it might be making it's way on up. ;0)

It really looks nice.

Thanks... I did the entire skein in about 4 hours. 

Is it a long staple, good for advanced beginner? I'm excited that I even recognize what Polworth is. I got Fiber and Fleec Sourcebook from the library and spent about 3 or 4 days reading and reading and amazed at all the sheep there are. So now I'll kind of have a clue about the fleece everyone talks about.  It looks soft.

The staple length isn't as long as some but can be up to 7" depending on your source of information.  The micron count (fiber diameter) 21-26... which is just at the top of the merino classification.  I got my Polwarth in Top form, so it's pretty slippery - but NOT as slippery as Merino.  It takes a bit of getting used to but spins like a dream.  I was able to purchase the Fiber and Fleece Sourcebook a few months ago, and it was indeed money well spent.  It is so very neat to know about so many of the fibers. 

I'm so glad you finally were able to get the book.  It is wonderful, isn't it?  I love this book.  I have used this book more than any of the other books I have bought or borrowed, and I've used some of those quite a bit.

I have a couple of books with similar information, but this is the most thorough of the lot.  I'm glad I have it on hand. 

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service