This weekend I dyed a batch of Leicester Longwool that I'd had a while... the fiber looks marvelous!
This afternoon I tried spinning this long stuff! And I mean it is long... the shortest lengths are at least 6" long... and some are evenlonger. It wants to be spun finely... it will not go thick at all. It was so hard to spin that I tried making a rolag and that was a little bit better, but still difficult... So I just finished carding the whole pile... well it's only 10 oz. and fits into a gallon zip lock baggie...Here is the first part of the spinning I did today... this will be a very slow process.
I know it's not mohair, but it really has a mohair-look to it.
Cheryl, I'm not sure exactly what it is... Natalie sold it several months ago for something like $10/lb, maybe a bit more... and I got 4 different bags of colors... Judging by the feel of the different fibers... and there ARE several different fiber here... I think it is a mix of either Wensleydale or Teeswater Locks, and Mohair Locks. She found several bags of dyed locks that she forgot she had, and was just trying to get rid of them. Some of the fibers are way too soft to be mohair.
Now this turned out very "Cool Beans"!
Thanks ladies... right after spinning, I was not too impressed with the yarn, and the way it felt on the skin. But now that I have washed it and dried it, I can see this will turn out very nice in a knitted fabric.
Those really turned out great! As I recall this was sort of a grab bag type of purchase. Really nice! Yep, I see above that it was the $10/lb stuff you got.
Not a bad bargain...
Those don't come along every day... gotta be poised to jump on them ... I was.
Well, I'm switching discussions to show my handspun yarn I dyed this week. My first attempt is on the turkish spindle discussion. I had one white skein from the first 4 skeins I spun and then I spun another one. I dyed each single hank separately with food coloring in yellow with a drop of red, blue, seafoam green and green. The first bunch I did on the kettle, but these I laid out on saran wrap and used a food injector to apply the colors in stripes. Started to wrap up, but the water inside the wrap was spreading to other sections (mental note to get much more water out of the wool before dyeing!) so I unwrapped and proceeded to blot with a towel the wool to get out the extra liquid which of course lightened the colors abit. But I then steamed the bundles and below is what they looked like before I plied and then the skein after they were plied. The blue which looked like denim to begin with almost turned periwinkle and that was the only real difference. I really liked these colors-abit mottled after plied and would've liked brighter but pleased with the results. Sorry I loaded the photos backwards. The colors of the plied skein are a little lighter on the screen than in real life. And the single below is a it blurry, but hopefully you get the idea.
Great spinning and love the way the colors turned out. Good job.
I think the colors and the spinning are just scrumptious! Good work!