Knitting Community

Aloha! You all knew this was coming . . . show off your hand dyed roving or fiber!!

I dyed up my first batch of KP's Superwash Merino/Nylon and Merino/Silk - so yummy, fluffy, soft and heavenly . . .

Please post your photos and comments - Can't wait to see all your creations!

Here is my SW Merino/Nylon:

and the Merino/Silk:

~ christina

Tags: dyed, dyes, hand, knit, merino, roving, silk, spinning, superwash, wool

Views: 16221

Replies to This Discussion

You should be proud of them.  They're beautiful!  You should do more and put them on Etsy.

Very nice Bren... great colors and displays.

You should definitely be proud!

Oh, my! Those are yummy!

Those are truly beautiful, Bren!  the first one made me gasp.  And your photos are so artful.  What is this color schemer software you mentioned?  Never heard of that, but it sounds like it would be fun to play with :))

I too was wondering what this color schemer software is all about too.  Sounds very interesting. 

Color schemer is software that lets you pick color schemes that will look good together.  I've been a graphic designer for about 7 years and was introduced to the software to help make my project more cohesive.  It can be applied to so many different things.  I can take pictures of colors I like and it will make a workable palette for me or I can make something from scratch.  They also have a gallery that anyone can use online with literally an endless number of color schemes.  I really love it!

Color Schemer

What a great application - thanks for the link!

OMG!  This is fantastic!  Thanks for sharing it.  :o)

Bren and Christina - I have a question for you.  Looking at these gorgeous braids I am wondering how you got them so long?  I know it is 4 oz of fiber compared to the 3.5 or so from KP, however - on my last braid (Easter Peeps - mer/silk) although it is considerably fluffy, it isn't anywhere near as long, only a smidge bit over 24 inches.  Is it better overall to package them as a more compact braid and then to fluff them up just before spinning, or to try and loosen them up before braiding? 

Christina - with a great deal of sadness I unrolled your Fall Harvest last weekend.  Why the sadness?  Because it is a piece of art, and I did not want to disturb it at all.  I thought I was going to spin it that day.   Although I ended up not doing that,  I did take a good look at your formation of the braid.  Your's seems so much more compact - in a good way compact.  Solid feeling and tightly braided.  Does it depend on the fiber?  Is there something I should be doing and am not?  I've yet to spin many of my own hand dyed fibers as I just can't bring myself to mess up the look of the rovings, (I know- weird!).  For some strange reason, I love looking at the braids just as they are.  Any pointers?

Hiya Wendy!

What I've found is it depends on the fiber how long/compact the braid can get. For example, 2 oz of cotton roving goes on FOREVER because it's a skinner roving, whereas something like 4oz of 64ct merino is a shorter braid because the wool came in a wider roving. I also found the 'crochet chain' braid gets the braids more compact than the standard 3-strand braid (like braiding hair). If I want to keep the braid fluffy, I'll use the 3-strand method. For wool that I'm keeping for myself or am going to spin, I crochet-chain braid so I can easily pull off pieces and fluff and spin without unraveling the whole thing. For rovings that will be sold, I try to make them as pretty as possible when they go out so I'll fluff them out as best as I can before braiding.

I totally know what you mean about not wanting to mess up rovings! I have so many pieces from other dyers that are sooo pretty that I won't spin them, silly I know. If you want the braids to be a bit longer, you can try drafting it out a bit before braiding - this fluffs the fibers as well as re-aligns any fibers that may have gone astray. I've found KP's wools are shorter braids - am thinking it's because they have wider rovings, not longer.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Christina!  It does help, quite a bit in fact.  I never thought about roving coming in wider or narrower amounts.  Makes complete sense.  I've only used the crochet chain braid so far.  And this last one was the easiet so far.  But I think that is because it was so fluffy and I made big loops since I didn't want damage anything.  I guess I'll have to keep playing around with it. 

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service