Knitting Community

If you have a favorite recipe (or several) that saves time, but is nutritious and tasty, please share it with us.

First some ground rules, to keep this working smoothly: Post your recipe in a new comment (in the box right under this that says "Reply to This." Then use the "Reply" button to add comments about the recipe or ask questions about it. Some chitchat is bound to happen, and that's OK. See a recipe you want to save? Just print screen or copy and paste to a new document. Try to keep your directions clear, and explain where to get any unusual ingredients. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Tags: Spinning, cooking, recipes, time-saving.

Views: 1893

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say there are several of us in that boat... German, Irish, Scottish, English here too. 

Heehee.  Well, I only bring the Irish and the English to the table.  :)  Oh, and a little Dutch.  DD got the German and the Scotch from her Dad.  :) 

But I'll take you all as relatives.  :D

I'll take you up on that!!  The relatives you 'choose' are always better to get along with than the ones you're 'born' to! =))

And I add Norwegian and Irish to the mix, too!  Only my dad was Polish.

That looks yummy, Susan.

You know how we love photos!

German Pancake     from Family Circle magazine 4/02 

(but just like a recipe called ‘Oven Pancake’ that Mom had and made when we were kids and was lost!)

Start oven heating at 400 degrees.  Melt butter in oven proof skillet, preferably cast iron.  (I preheat the pan in the oven- when hot, I remove pan and spray with non-stick spray around the sides before adding the butter to melt.)

Ingredient list

Original size

Eggs

Milk

1/3 c

2/3 c

1 c

1 1/3 c

1 2/3 c

Flour

1/3 c

2/3 c

1 c

1 1/3 c

1 2/3 c

Sugar

1/8 c

¼ c

1/3 c

½ c

2/3 c

Salt

1/8 tsp

¼ tsp

½ tsp

½ tsp

¾ tsp

Butter

1 T

1 ½ T

2 T

2 ½ T

3 T

Powdered sugar-  1 to 3 T to dust top after baking

Whisk eggs in large bowl, add milk and stir.  Add flour, sugar and salt.  Mix well.  Pour in hot pan and bake 20 minutes or til golden and puffed.  Cut in wedges and serve with fruit preserves or syrup or whatever is your favorite pancake topping. 

To calculate size of recipe to make, I usually make 2 eggs per person unless they’re little people. 

For hubs and I and 2 daughters (5 yo and 9 yo) I never make this with less than 8 eggs, but there’s usually 1 piece leftover.  I eat that for lunch.

The 8 and 10 egg recipes I bake in a 10 inch skillet with 2 or 2 ½ inch sides.

The 4 and 6 egg recipes fit great in an 8 inch square cast iron with 1.5 inch sides.  Frankly, I’ve never made it with 2 eggs.  I’ve never baked this in glass, but I’m sure it would be fine.  I just wouldn’t preheat the pan.  I’d spray it more thoroughly with non-stick spray and use half as much butter- just throwing it in on the top after pouring the batter in.J

This looks like a good recipe to have!

It's delicious!  :)  I was just thinking when I was adding it this morning how you could make it 'savory' instead of sweet.  Maybe add some basil or oregano and some cayenne or black pepper to the batter along with garlic and/or onion.  If you had leftover cooked bacon you could add it to the batter, too.  You could dump omelet toppings over the finished product, too.  That sounds good right now.  :)

Thanks, Peggy Sue!

Sounds delicious!   Served both ways. 

Agreed.  But the German Pancake sounds a lot like the Hawaiian Pancake that my friend (who was half Hawaiian) made.  It was yummy!

Oooh.  How interesting!  It's multi-cultural.  :)  I'm not even a speck German or Hawaiian, but I love it.  :) 

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service