Knitting Community

Ask your questions here, and the designer Kerin or another knitalong member will pop in to offer assistance.

Views: 631

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Joyce, that's exactly right. You will knit the left leg stitches from the holder (making sure you knit the front first) then across the back of the left and onto the back of the right so the legs are joined. You will now be knitting in the round. As Peggy has mentioned, it's just like leggings...or in this case a tiny pair of brown monkey pants! :)
Good luck!
~Susan
I had trouble with knitting into the loops too. I tried it several times and it just looked messy. I know I had to be doing something wrong. So, I decided to use the figure 8 cast on like I use for toe up socks. It was less awkward for me and I was happy with the way it looked. Thanks for the tutorial on wrap and turn. I knew I had done it before but needed a refresher. I am so glad I joined this KAL, I haven't been able to find a local knitting group and its always good to have someone to share the experience with. Thanks everybody.

jude
So did you pick up those sts with a second needle and then knit them with a third needle????
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lost on this

PLEASE, ANYONE..........a picture is worth a 1000 words!!!!

And think of all the bad words it will keep me from repeating during Lent! LOL!!!
-Dawn
Hi Dawn!

Well, I don't know of any photo's showing how to knit into the "purl bumps" and you've said the figure 8 cast-on isn't working for you, Right? Well I wouldn't sweat it. If all else fails, you can just cast on 4 sts in the round and increase until you get the required # of sts & be on your merry way! Just seam up the bottoms of the legs and arms to get rid of any holes and your good.

I prefer the figure 8 co (only because I was familiar with it) but I also followed the pattern instructions on one of the arms & the tail, just to try it out. They pretty much looked identical, really no difference.
When all is said and done it's just a long tube that's closed up at one end. So how you accomplish this, isn't that important, as long as the end result is the same!
~Susan
I had alot of trouble getting started too. It's very awkward.
Hello,

Mr. Foster just arrived. . . I am excited to begin. . .But, also confused. . .

Maybe there should be a lighter color suggested for around his lips.((face cheek area?) . . On the pattern photo (like my computer photo) It isn't the same color as the rest of his head and such.
Or, am I wrong ? Was it photo lighting that has the pattern picture appear this way ? Or, maybe the model was made differently for photography. . . . . .?

Great idea to have a wire inside. . . .for poseability of Mr. Foster. . . (simply plastic pellets in butt area is great too. . .like a beany baby. . .with no armature. can weight the toes and hands too. . .if you want them to drape and hang right if sitting on something . . .
Yes, making an armature of a plastic coated electrical wire is perfect suggestion form someones husband. . .maybe use - 12 gauge coated wire . . .(It is sold by the yard in hardware departments, ). . .I've done it with my cloth dolls I've sold commercially. . .wire armature (armature = internal support of any heavy object art form being created which might not hold itself up on it's own. ) Wire will work well to give you a character who can be posed and enjoyed in all sorts of places. Hung from fun locations, poised in fun positions . . .

This wire may be heavy to bend - use a pliers at times for twisting. . .(don't injure your knitting hands)
Only one long wire works best. . .not pieces for limbs, i.e.. .. I expect it needs to be several yards long (I'm going to buy 5 yards - just in case it takes that much. . .If I over bought. . .I can make use of it for other items without another buying trip when I make a few more of these.. . . Also don't use too much wire. . .then you won't be able to bend the monkey after it's stuffed very easily either. . .which is your goal for the bendable wire armature . . .

Bend the wire back and forth (length of that part of body) you'll use the torso as the meeting point for the head and 5 limbs. . .. . . . . . then twist each part to make it strong. . .then wrap each limb, head, and body trunk area. . . with cut strips of quilt batting. . .wrapping around and around and then secure it with string / yarn and or thread and tie tightly many times - (or even sew the batting on securely - with a long doll sewing needle. Makes the batting stay on securely . . .this give the body armature flexibility and form. . .then place it into the body cavity appropriately and continue to use a loose fiber fill stuffing around this armature while inside Mr. Foster. . .make it monkey shape. . .the way you want it to look . . .

Google art armatures, or doll making armatures. you might find photos. . .
The wire might begin at the waste then down to a toe back up to the head down to the neck / at shoulder height go out for the length of one arm. . . bent round as for a palm of hand and back to torso, circle the torso and go out for the other arm. . .back to twist on torso and down for the other leg. . . back up to head if you wish. . . back down to the tummy area. . . Draw a plan on paper the size of Mr. Foster. . .then you can lay the armature on the paper to see if you are getting the right dimensions and lengths . . . ((It'll be at least an inch shorter than each limb of Mr. Foster. . .

Best to lay out Mr. Foster and get approximate measurements of head, body, arm and leg lengths and of course torso. . . that is the fun of this. . .learning a new detail to incorporate into things you've already done.
So all this is done after knitting.. . . the wires do not go out to the ends of limbs or top of head or toes. . .you never want it to poke out of the knit figure. . ..but you can enjoy this process and creativity you have within you to create an amazing character. . . I have also used a plastic tube - in the torso up the neck to the head area when stuffing cloth dolls . . .the tube was firm yet thin and stuffing went around it. . .again batting was wrapped around it and secured well the whole length. . .then stuffing sticks to it well and it doesn't swim around inside the animal or doll. . . I hope this helps. . .. I know you don't want to have a weak figure with a very floppy head (neck when you are done.

Again. . .this is an extension of your individuality in adaptations to Mr. Foster. . .If he is just a fiber fill stuffed monkey in the pattern. . .you might want to make it just that way. . . Remember it is your choice. and that if faster. .and easier. Wish you all lived near me. . .we could make the armature together at my house.

Toni
What a lot of information! I'm going to be thinking about all this while I'm making Mr. F. And before, too, because I'm still waiting for him to appear in my mailbox. --Peggy
Since I notice that the kits are sold out is there just a pattern available??? That way I could get the yarn, etc and start knitting for think this is a great idea for the grandkids for next Holiday Season.
Janet: I have heard that there will be another kit for Mr. F. perhaps in May and maybe with different clothes--something for spring. That should be in plenty of time for holiday knitting. --Peggy
Janet: There is a tutorial with photos in the tutorial section, under "increases." M1L = "Make 1 left" and M1R = "Make 1 right." You can go to

http://community.knitpicks.com/notes/Increase_-_Make_1_Increase

Here's the wording--

The make 1 (also known as the lifted make 1) is an easy and very tidy looking increase. It utilizes the running thread between two live stitches to create a new stitch. This increase can lean to the left or to the right depending on which direction you pick up the new stitch. Instructions for both are provided below.

To slant left: Lift the horizontal thread between your needles with your left needle tip from front to back. Knit this newly lifted stitch through the back loop.

To slant right: Lift the horizontal thread between your needles with your left needle tip from back to front. Knit this newly lifted stitch.

Check it out! There's lots of good stuff there. If you have internet, you can take your laptop around with you, and it's like having a whole library full of books! I'm glad I lived to see it! --Peggy
I am at the point where I am ready to join the legs. The instructions say place left leg on needle, with front of leg facing forward. I am using DPN's. Would i just add the left leg stitches next to the right leg stitches that are on the DPN's already? Or is this where I need the circular needle?

Thanks for any help
Renocat: Anything you can do with a circular needle you can also do with dpns, you just might need a whole bunch of them, but probably not for this project. If you're more comfortable with the dpns, you can stick with them, or switch to a circular needle if you want do do ML, or two circs would work, too. --Peggy

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service