Knitting Community

We've updated the old Knit Picks Knitting Room and added a lot of new features and functionality, including:

- a pop-out music player where you can stream Kelley's latest podcast (or download them directly - just click on the arrow next to the track you want);
- an RSS feed of our favorite Staff Picks;
- a new Knit Picks’ staff knitting blog where you can read the latest happenings the Knit Picks office in Vancouver, Washington;
- all of our Knit Picks Knitalongs;
- individual member profiles that allow you to create your own page and show off your finished knitting projects
- a collection of tutorials with general and specific knitting instructions and a robust search function that will help you learn to knit;
- photo management for all of your knitted projects and knitting events;
and
- a forum for posting comments, questions, feedback, and requests.

How do I check my messages?
You can check messages by clicking on the envelope icon located on the thin purple strip that appears at the top of the page. A panel will then drop down where you can compose messages and read messages you've received.

How do I manage email notifications?
You can manage your email settings by clicking on the "My Settings" link in the right column.

My Page

How do I change the theme of my page on a network?
When you join the network, a profile page on that network is created for you. You can edit your page's theme by logging in and clicking the My Page tab. Follow the link at the top of the page to "Edit Profile Appearance." You can choose a theme for your page, entirely separate from the network's theme, and customize the color of each item on the page.

What is a text box? What can I put in my text box?
A text box is a box to which you can add a variety of content. It's just another way to make your page your own! Simply click the "Edit" button in the top right corner of the text box on your My Page to get started. You can add the following to the text box on your page:
Text
HTML
Pictures
Widgets

How do I change my profile photo?
Log in to the site and click the "My Settings" link on the right side of the page. Click the "Browse" button under the Profile Photo field to locate an image on your computer. When you upload a new photo, the old one will be deleted. New profile photos can take up to thirty minutes to show up, so don't worry if your new photo doesn't appear immediately.

Photos

How do I add photos?
You can add photos by clicking on the Photos tab that appears at the top of the page. You can upload them from your computer, mobile phone, Flickr, or email account.

You can upload pictures to your blog post by clicking on the camera icon at the top of the tool bar next to where you are typing the text of your post.

Either upload a picture from your computer’s hard drive or insert the url of an existing image that you are hosting on another website (such as Flickr).

If you click on the “Options” button, you can format the alignment of your image, the size of your image, and whether you want a pop up screen to view your full sized image.

If you want to add photos to your profile, go to the menu on the right side of the screen that says “Quick Add” and select “Photos”

You can add photos that are saved to your hard drive, by selecting “Browse” then finding the file path, when you are done, click “Add Photos.”

If you click on the “More Options” tab, you can add up to 100 files directly from your hard drive, upload directly from your Flickr account, or upload from your cell phone or email account.

If you have lots of photos, you can add one word tags that describe the item, so that someone looking for a “cardigan” to knit would find your photo. You can also organize your photos into albums, if you want to keep all of your finished objects from 2008 in a separate place.

How do I delete a photo?
To delete a photo, go to that photo's detail page. In the toolbar to the right of the photo, locate the red X with a link to "Delete Photo." Click on this link.

How do I see a specific person's photos?
You can view a member's photos page by clicking on their name next to a photo, or by selecting the "View Photos" link under their name on the photo's detail page.

How do I report an offensive photo?
When you're signed in, click "Report an Issue," which appears as a link at the bottom of every network page. This will alert the Network Creator to the offensive photo.

How do I crop a photo without software?
While most computers come with image-editing software now capable of cropping (Preview for the Mac, Paint for Windows), there's also another web-based solution.
http://www.easycropper.com offers a fairly easy-to-use cropping system. You can just upload the large image you want to crop, set your desired size and it'll do the rest. For reference, our recommended width for header background images is 955px. Height can vary so experiment for the best results.

Knitalongs

How do I join a knitalong?
To join a knitalong you need to be a member of the Knitting Community website. To browse our knitalongs, go to the Knitalongs tab.

Do discussions within a Knitalong Forum appear in the Discussions Forum?
Nope! Knitalong discussions are contained entirely within that group, and don't appear alongside Knitting Community Forum discussions.

Can I subscribe to a group's forum posts?
Yes. Go to that group's page and click on the RSS link at the bottom of the forum section.

Blog

Do I have a blog? Where is it?
Every member of the Knitting Community has his or her own page on the site, including a blog. To get to your blog, click on the My Page tab. Find the "My Blog" box in the middle column of the page. You can add a blog post by clicking on the "Write your first entry!" link. Once you write the first entry in your blog, this link will disappear. A link prompting you to "Create a new blog post" will now appear at the bottom of your blog on your page.

Discussions

Why does it say I have 15 minutes to edit posts?
To maintain the integrity of discussions and replies, we only allow members to edit posts for 15 minutes. We think this is enough time to correct a typo, while ensuring that people don't "rewrite history." We do, however, let members delete their own posts at any time.

Views: 7026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like more than "attempt!" Sounds like a successful project! (Some people like to put in a mistake on purpose as an act of humility. I always have a mistake somewhere in everything I do, so I don't need to do that, LOL!"
I do the same thing... I don't do it on purpose, but it's always there, and I can always see it - even if others can't! LOL
Oh, I'm *so* glad to hear that! I always have more than one project going at once.....does everyone do that too?? Anyway, one of my more challenging projects is a pair of argyle socks for my son! All those beautiful hand-painted yarns out there and he wants argyle! I started with a pattern using 5 colors and quickly had to admit that that was beyond my skills. I found another pattern that used 3 colors....much easier but I still have a couple of errors and I've not yet made it through a complete diamond yet! One mistake I know is mine, the other I think might be in the pattern itself and I didn't catch it. Thank goodness socks come in pairs....hopefully I can get it right the second time:)
Cindy, I currently have four active projects... I'm waiting for yarn for two of them (long story), and one is a sweater vest (for me), and the last one is a felted bag (again for me - no big rush on that)... thankfully the vest is just knit, knit, knit, so I'm working on that until the yarn shows up. LOL

I have never tried argyle, but probably should - maybe in a sweater or something like that.
Oh, Cindy, I know what you mean. When I first worked with charts I had no idea you worked from bottom to top. I mean in the muggle world [the non-knitting world] who would understand working from bottom to top and reading right to left?
I think the last time I worked with a chart was about 25 years ago! My mother-in-law had just taught me to knit mittens and for my second pair, I chose a 2-colored diamond pattern. It's all coming back to me....but as I age it does seem things come back to me slowly and leave that much more quickly!
Cindy, I peeked at your page and see you love socks. Have you looked at the Sock KAL? We would love to have you join us. It's not quite as active as it once was but we still hang out there for those who might need help.
Cindy, please do come to the Sock KAL! We need people with experience to inspire us!

How do you  start a new discussion but it don't quite fit any of the KAL

Hugs Janice

Janice, how about in Ask the Fairy Godknitters?

Is there a forum to post completed projects you've created using Knitpicks yarns?

Joy, click here for a link to all the groups on KP. Hopefully one of these groups will satisfy your needs. I don't know of one that is specifically for KP yarns. There are different discussions within each group for posting completed projects. Let me know if you need further help.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service