Knitting Community

Welcome to the Learn to Knit KAL! Tell us something about yourself. Why do you want to learn to knit? Or, if you're already a knitter, how did you learn?

Views: 162

Replies to This Discussion

I got the idea from a friend in Texas when we lived there. Her church was making up these:
Put together a plastic bag with nonperishable food to keep in your car. Include a can opener, unless you have included only packaging that can be opened without one. Other items you might include are:
Napkins or paper towels
Plastic fork and spoon
Toothpaste, toothbrush and hand cream
Wipes
Space blanket for warmth
List of homeless shelters in your area.
In the 10 years since we started doing this, we have never had a recipient seem disappointed that we gave him food instead of money. An added benefit is, if your car breaks down in a remote area without cell phone service, you can use the packet for yourself while you wait for help.
This is such a great idea. I will definitely be using it. I could make the blanket that goes inside too, and maybe a hat and scarf to help keep them warm, and some mittens and socks! Wonderful! Thanks Peggy! You're amazing!
I keep it to limited commitment. I have given so many of these away! I gave one away when I was visiting our daughter in Wisconsin last spring when our granddaughter was born. The recipient saw my license plates and said, "Thank you, Utah!"
The beauty of it is that it's so simple. I may only be able to do one or two a month, but the fact that I can do something is so relieving! I believe that bad situations stay that way because no one takes it upon themselves to help change it. If I can hand out one or two of these bags every month, then I have made sure that someone was not hungry or cold for at least a day or two out of the year. The more people that do this, the less people are hungry and cold. If everyone did this, homeless people would be fed and warm nearly all year round! I would like to feature this idea on my charity blog if you don't mind. It's a simple way to make a difference that nearly anyone can manage with minimal effort or expense! Thank you, Peggy!
Please do! I have tried to publicize the idea, but other than my blog and people at my church I don't really have a forum!
Hi, I'm Connie. I learned to knit when I was in sixth grade. I had broken my arm, and my teacher didn't want me out on the playground. So, she told my mom to get me some yarn and a set of needles and she would teach me to knit. I didn't do very well then, but the round end of the needle was perfect for scratching my arm down in the middle of the cast. When I was 20 , I moved on to crochet. Since then, I have taught myself to quilt and tat. About six years ago, I decided that I wanted to knit socks, so I taught myself. The following year, I wanted to done entire process-- from sheep to sock (so to speak)--and learned to spin--first on a drop spindle
then on a spinning wheel. In case you are wondering, yes I am ADD.

I am a pediatric nurse in a local hospital and am 10 months away from finishing my Master's Degree in nursing.
I would not have expected ADD, but then I have it, too. Have you joined our Spin Along? It's fun learning spinning techniques with other spinners. Good to have you here, too!

I've already introduced myself to the spinners, maybe its time to do the same with the knitters.

My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was about 20.  They lived cross country, and came to visit for my brother's HS graduation.  While she was here, I asked her to teach me how to knit.  This was an interesting experience for a couple of reasons.  First, new knitter.  Second, she knit in what I now know to be called  "combination" knitting, and me, I have trouble sometimes translating actions others are making to my own fingers.  So she got me started, but I always had trouble.  I suspect now that my grandpa was a capable knitter, or maybe just better at paying attention than I was, so he would help guide my hands to the motions they needed to be following.

My first project - grandma's favorite dishcloth.  For those of you unfamiliar with the pattern, its got all types of learning wrapped up in one little package.  For starters, not only do you knit, but you also practice yarn overs & k2tog decreases.

So I worked very slowly, yet somehow consistently, and worked my way up the sides of the cloth.  they went home before it was time to get smaller though.  Ugh.  That was much harder, because I was pretty much on my own when it came to figuring out how to make things smaller.  I'm still not sure how I managed it, but it came out looking decent.

A couple years later I wanted to make something else and found I had no idea what to do.  I was able to work out a cast on (backwards loop easy peasy), and I was even able to work out a knit.  But no matter what I tried, I couldn't effect a purl stitch.  I didn't have much internet access (early days of AOL and its really unfriendly bbs) but I had a few books.  NONE of them looked like what my grandma taught me to do (as they work in mostly continental or english styles).  I kept trying and finally I magically found the right answer on my own.

Long time and lots of frustrations later as my decreases never matched the patterns (the drawback to an undeducated combination knitter) and finally discovery of the internet, and I found knittinghelp.com  With the videos there I re-taught myself how to knit & purl in the Continental style, and finally I feel I can put out work that looks like it is supposed to. 

Now I love to teach anyone who expresses an interest in either knit (or crochet which my mom taught me when I was in elementary school) and all this practice in "figuring it out" has helped me adjust to other's ways of learning as well (like teaching a lefty to crochet for instance)

I love to knit dischloths, because they are fabulous ways to try out new techniques on a small project scale yet still have something to show for your efforts.  Next on my adventure list, my first garment, something from Big Girl Knits - I'm thinking Bombshell (a Ravelry link)

Well, that's my story.  I look forward to learning from each of you, and maybe offering help myself.

It's good to have you both places! I've been out of touch for a couple of weeks, but should be here daily for a while. Happy knitting!

Hi Everyone!

I am the newest member of the Knit Picks team as the Education Coordinator and I just wanted to introduce myself to all of you lovely crafters :) I will be on the forums and boards here, and I will be doing my best to answer any questions that might come up!

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and joining everyone in this wonderful community.

Happy Knitting!

Jenny, it's so good to have you here! I've gained a lot of knowlege from this website. It will be nice to get your input. Will you be changing the tutorials and videos?

Thanks! I am really excited about the KP Community and I love helping people figure out knitting.Isn't the internet a wonderful resource for us knitters?

As for the tutorials and videos, we will not be changing them so much as expanding them as time allows. We are really hoping to add new techniques to things like the video tutorials, so if you have any ideas on what you would like to see :)

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service