Knitting Community

Post them here! We'd love to hear from you!

Tags: knitalong

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Star: Good idea for a Knit-n-read KAL. (KNR KAL?) I have ADD also, and I find I can sit and listen to an audiobook if I'm knitting or quilting, especially if there is a little thought required for my project. You may like it. I'll be waiting to read what your results are, KAL or no. Happy knitting and reading! --Peggy
I was having a really hard time listening to Podcasts for the same reason. I finally realized I needed to add another level of attention to it or I'd never get through an entire 20 minutes of any Podcast, never mind something longer. When I started listening while working on a knit or crochet project, I'd actually HEAR what was being said. So, that's why I'm rethinking audiobooks now.

My complete inability to listen/hear audiobooks is a big reason I didn't think I'd ever find a use for an iPod. Mine has video capabilities, so I started off watching the "Let's knit2gether" video Podcasts first. I've got a gazillion podcasts on my iPhone and iPod... lot's of knitting to do to ever hope to listen to any of them! LOL!
At the risk of having a great proliferation of KALs, how about a spinning KAL and a dyeing KAL. I know I've mentioned spinning before, but now I've started dyeing. Since dyeing and spinning often go together, the two could be combined into one: The Dyeing and Spinning KAL. (Putting dyeing first might bring in some knitters who want to dye their own yarn.) We could have separate threads for dyeing and spinning projects and issues. I know we have a lot of spinners who are members of the Knit Picks Knitting Community. We have found each other by chance, and maybe there are others. --Peggy
Love to do somethng in lace
Also the book on Double knitting that Knit Picks is selling Double Knitting by M'Lou Baber Those sweaters/jackets are wonderful.
Michele
How about a general charity knit-a-long? I know a lot of knitters knit for various charity organizations and it would be a good way to share our projects and the different causes in which we knit for. Knitters are some of the most generous and loving people I have ever met and I for one would love to be a part of a charity knit-a-long. I have baby blanket I am about to knit for The Association of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Research, or CDH research. My brother and sister-in-law recently had a baby pass away with this rare condition and my sister-in-law is collecting items to donate to families who have babies in the NICU with the same condition. The hand knit items brighten up the sullen conditions and the babies respond to the beautiful colors in the blankets and mittens better than the dull colored items provided by the hospitals.

Anyway, this is just an example of a charity I am currently knitting for but everyone has their own story and I am always touched to learn how others come to knit for a certain cause. This kind of knit-a-long would not only be a way for us to get our projects completed but to reach out and learn about other causes and stories. A lot of knitters knit to heal from a tragedy and sometimes by turning their knitting into a cause while reaching out to the knitting community along the way, the healing can begin to take shape.
I like this one. I like to knit/crochet small blankets for homeless cats and dogs and burial buntings for stillborn babies.
I like this too. I would also suggest another charity - the National Alopecia Areata Foundation. My daughter has boughts with Alopecia from time to time, and I have made her numerous hats. I have not been active on the message boards for a long time, but when I was, I had people constantly asking me to make them hats for their little ones.

For those of you that don't know. Alopecia Areata is a auto-immune disease which affects the hair follicle. It affects people to different degrees. Some lose all of their hair, some only lose a little bit. Some will lose it permanently and some will grow back. I know for my little girl, when she was at the height of her hair loss, having pretty hats to wear to school made all the difference.

So, just a suggestion for a KAL. Heck, for a challenge, we can even throw in some cables.
I think something with cables, they are fun to do, and some of them are so pretty, and not too easy, hats, scarfs , sweaters, Irene
I would love an "All Questions Accepted" Knitalong. I often have questions about things (gauging, seaming, pattern questions) for knits that do not have anything to do with your knitalongs, and I don't know where to post them. I know it's not really a knitalong, but it would be an invaluable resource to me - I'm the most advanced knitter I know, and I still consider myself a beginner. Hopefully it would help other people as well!
We have this type of KAL in the works!
Oh! This is the most wonderful news of the day. Thank you very much!!!
Sorry if this has already been suggested, and if impractical, feel free to ignore my idea, but I think it would be neat to have a knitalong for those who are newbies to knitting! I'm working on my first project now, and I would like to be in a group with other newbies who are learning. We could learn together and it could be a place for information on ideas for knitting. We could then share photos of our first projects, and even if they've got some obvious mistakes in them, that would be okay since everyone else is just learning too!

Like I said, if this is impractical, OR if it's an idea that needs tweaking, I understand!

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service