Knitting Community

Have comments or questions about Knit Picks yarn? Feel free to post them here!

If you have any problems with your Knit Picks yarn, please contact Knit Picks Customer Service at 1.800.574.1323. Thanks!

Tags: yarn

Views: 1519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How absorbent is Shine? I want to use it for a dishcloth as the Cotlin doesn't have the right color available for a couple months. Should I use Shine or wait for the Cotlin. It's not a terrible rush. The color in Cotlin is Moroccan Red & Serrano in the Shine. The pattern calls for the worsted weight but I think the DK would work.
Hi Kael,

I've made several faceclothes out of Shine worsted - I really love using it because it looks so beautiful for patterns. I find them fairly absorbant, probably not as much as 100% cotton - but then I use them for faceclothes, not dishclothes.

Stacey
Customer Service
I LOVE the new stroll handpainted. I am using it for some Cookie A "Wanida" socks and the colors are coming out really, really beautifully. How is the "handpainting" done, just out of curiosity?
Hi Robin,

We're glad you like it - I'm loving it too. Handpainting is done like it sounds - acutally applying the paint to the yarn by hand rather than soaking it in the dye. Here's a great article on Knitty you might find interesting:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/FEATdyeyourown.html

Hope that helps!
Stacey
Customer Service
thanks-- interesting article!!
BIG QUESTION!!!!

I would like to know if it's possible to substitute a DK weight yarn-double stranded- with a sport yarn- double stranded??? I know I can substitute it but I am wondering if their will be any annoying outcomes- other than size differences?

(i.e. I want to knit the Half-pipe hat in Debbie Strollers Son of a Stitch n' Bitch. But I already have the telemark yarn handy. Just wondering if it would make for a suitable substitution.)
Hi Betty,

That would be a way to substitute (and a great pattern to boot!) but you will probably want to swatch to make sure you are getting the correct gauge and the proper fit - I think you will have to go up a needle size.

I hope this helps!
Stacey
Customer Service
hi! i want to knit up some socks which i've never done before. i've looked at some sock yarn in the store and online but i am just not sure which is the best one to start with. i was thinking of palette or stroll, or possibly in the sport weight, telemark. i've never used wool before and never knitted socks, does anyone have suggestions to which yarn to start with? thanks!
Hi Sarah,

Robin is right - Stroll Sport would be your best bet as a yarn to start with - it is very soft & very easy to use, plus holds up well in the wash! Also, starting on a slightly larger size yarn (most sock yarn is in fingering weight) helps when starting out with sock knitting - many people start with worsted, just to make it easier to understand the construction - Swish is a great yarn to use for that (I'm making a pair in that right now - they are going to be super warm!).

Good luck & welcome to the wacky world of sock knitting!
Stacey
Customer Service
I would use stroll. It is very soft, very soft on your hands, and does not split. I started some socks with Felici and it just was harder for some reason. I would go with a light color so you can see hte stitch work, and definately use Stroll!
Is Suri Dream good for felting?
Katie
Hi Kael,

Yes it is! I looked at a few projects on Ravelry and there were some great felted items!

Stacey
Customer Service

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service