Knitting Community

Have comments or questions about Knit Picks yarn? Feel free to post them here!

If you have any problems with your Knit Picks yarn, please contact Knit Picks Customer Service at 1.800.574.1323. Thanks!

Tags: yarn

Views: 1461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is happening with the Simply Cotton Organic (specifically the Worsted Malted Milk)?  Will they be getting more?  I didn't see anything saying it was discontinued, but I also don't see any notes on when it will be restocked.

I suggest you contact Customer Service.
The Simply Cotton organics aren't dyed, the cotton colors are naturally occurring shades. Sadly, our source hasn't been able to get organic cotton in the other three tones recently.
So it's not discontinued???  I make lots of baby things and the organic is very much in demand.  It's good news that I may be able to find it again some day.
It is not officially discontinued, however we have no idea as to when we will be able to get this in the undyed shades again. we have our fingers crossed as well :)
Oh, that is definitely nice to know.
That's a gorgeous pattern, Amanda!!  I don't know about the 'over time' question.  But I did notice the pattern suggests 'light fingering'.  I'm glad your list didn't include Gloss fingering.  It seems like a heavier fingering to me.  Just swatch, swatch, swatch so you don't have a surprise size-wise!  :)  Hopefully someone else can answer your other questions about the alpaca blocking too.   I think it's supposed to drape pretty well, but don't have a lot of experience with it, either. 

Hi Amanda,

What a cute pattern! I think either of your choices will work well for this pattern. The alpaca will make Imagination  much drapier than Stroll would be, alpaca does that. Either would block out well, but mainly Imagination would make it have more drape and Stroll would have a bit more spring and bounce to it. Also, Imagination will probably pill more than stroll since the alpaca fiber is fuzzier than Stroll which is much smoother. A general rule of thumb, the softer something is, chances are the more it will pill. I think it is a bit of a give and take when comparing these two yarns - Imagnation will have more drape but the Stroll will pill less. Depends on which quality is more important to you.

Hope this helps a bit, be sure to show pics when you are done, it is super cute :)

Excellent explanation, Jenny.
I'm looking for a little help.  I've picked a shawl pattern that calls for DKweight yarn and I want to do it in lace.  My problem is how much difference is there in the yardage.  I made a small swatch using size 4 needles and lace weight and it looks good to me.

Are you wondering how much yardage you'll need when you make it with laceweight yarn instead of DK?  There is no real way to know exactly.  You could order the amount (or a little more) of yardage that a comparable sized shawl would take (similar laciness and needle size).  The problem I can foresee for you is that the shawl will turn out much smaller made of laceweight than DK.  Is it a pattern that has an easily customizable size?  What I mean is- can you add repeats to make it larger?  Just some thoughts. 

(Love your id, by the way.  :D)

Picklepat, I agree with Peggy, a/k/a PickleSue. If you know the gauge the pattern calls for and the final dimensions, and then the gauge you are getting, you can determine the finished size. Example. If pattern gauge is 5 sts/inch [20 sts/4"] and you have 200 sts, it will be 40". If your gauge is 4 sts, your finished product will be 50". If your gauge is 6 sts, your finished product will be 33⅓". Without knowing what pattern you are talking about and the gauge information, it is hard to give advice. So the only way for it to be a similar dimension as the pattern you will have to be able  to add  or subtract depending on the pattern repeats.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service