Knitting Community

Here's where you can post feedback and questions about our double-pointed and fixed circular needles.

If you have any problems with your needles, please contact Knit Picks Customer Service at 1.800.574.1323. Thanks!

Views: 558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm just getting back into knitting and would like to make this Christmas stocking for next year (I figure it might take me that long if I start now). http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/...

I was once very good at knitting, doing Fair Isle, and knitting patterns in like Snoopy and ABC's. I vaguely remember struggling with a rather ornate Christmas stocking that never got finished, but I can't for the life of me remember anything about knitting in the round. I even have some small double pointed needles. I just don't know what to do with them.

I've watched your videos on knitting in the round. Very helpful and I think I can pick it up. My question is, since the above pattern is calling for two different size dpn's, could this be done with circular needles? When knitting socks, do you have to use the dpn's at the heel? Doesn't something special go on there? Which is basically easier: circular or dpn's, for a beginning sock knitter? I have to make an investment in the needles either way, and would like to make the best, most versatile choice since my money is so funky right now.

Thanks for all help. Also, if anyone knows of a dead simple sock pattern, I'd like to practice on that. To begin, I would not try the multi colors of the above pattern.
I hope I can help you out just a little bit. I printed the pattern so I could read it over. First of all, to simplify this pattern, I would do a cuff with just ribbing and not do the fold over cuff like the pattern says. That would make things much easier. You could also get away with only one size of dpn this way. The heel of this sock is an afterthought heel. It is put in after the whole sock is knit. You will knit a few stitches with a different color and cut the yarn. When you are completely done, you will remove this "odd" yarn and have live stitches. These will be picked up and knit with your dpn's. As far as which is easier, I personally prefer DPN's. You can use circulars and that is up to you. You will want a fairly short one. You could give this pattern a try and just do it in all one color just to see how it all works. I sure hope this helps you out a little bit.
Boy, I think I'm losing it. I didn't see your reply and reposted the post in another thread. Oh well, I'll get the jist in awhile. This is very helpful. I was planning on trying just one color first. I may go with the dpn's. They would be the traditional method, right? What is the point of the 2 different sizes being used? You say that won't matter, though?

Thanks for your help.
Inspired,
I read the pattern and they want you to use the smaller size needle for the cuff. amd the larger size for the sock itself. Looking at the socks in the picture, there is not THAT much difference. I know how to use dpns, but prefer Magic Loop (ML) myself, but it takes practice to know how to convert the pattern instructions to use ML. Your pattern calls for a size 10 or 10.5 needle... it has been my experience that when using this large of a dpn, that is can be very difficult to keep these large needles in the yarn... they tend to want to fall out.

Good luck on you re-entry to knitting. --S
Hmmm, thanks Susan. I never considered the size of the dpn being a problem, but it makes sense. That is pretty big isn't it? The four I have look to be about a size 6. Unfortunately there's no markings on them, but I think I might use them for practice. Looks like I may be on the hunt for some circular or Magic Loops. Any brands or particular size you would recommend that would give the most versatility? I really want to get into making hats and of course, socks. I don't think I'll tackle anything large like a sweater for awhile. My attention span just ain't what it used to be (and it never was very long. Self diagnosed Adult ADD).

Thanks again. I like the activity here. It's always nice to see an active forum. You just can't have these thorough conversations on twitter & facebook.
Inspired,
I should have looked at the pattern when you first posted your question. You might use the needles you have to make a "test" sock with just any old yarn to see how it goes.

Needles: I highly recommend the Knit Picks Options, Harmony, and Zephyrs. They are all excellent needles, all light weight and the flexible cables are perfect for Magic Loop. If money is an object, you might try purchaseing a couple of the needle sizes that you think you might want to use (a 10 for the stocking, and maybe a smaller size too) and a set of size 32 cables (though they come in sizes from 24" to 60").

You can also purchase entire sets of these needles. You can find all of the KP needle sets, cables, and tips here.

This is a great community of knitters, and someone always has the answer you need to get through a knitting dilema. I have learned a lot here myself. --Susan
Thanks so much. This looks like a great place to hang out. Looks like I'll be scraping my pennies together. I'd love a full set, but will probably settle for a couple of sizes. I'm always on the look out for reuse/recycle stuff if anyone has some duplicates. On a side note, I've got a little classifieds/swap section on my site that I'm just starting at http://inspiredcreatives.com/re-crafting/ . So if you, or anyone out there has some things they don't need or are looking for particular items, come on over and join the fun.

Just a little self-promotion, but we gotta do what we gotta do, right?
I was a bit scepticle when I first learned about the KP needles. I bought two needle points and one set of cables for just over $10 just to try out. Later when I could afford it, I bought an Options set, and I have a few of the Harmony wood and the Zephyr acrylics, too. The sets are pricey, but a lot less so than the other comparable brands... and from what I understand a lot better quality. --S
I may have posted this in the wrong place earlier. Sorry, first time here.

I'm just getting back into knitting and would like to make this Christmas stocking for next year (I figure it might take me that long if I start now). http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/...

I was once very good at knitting, doing Fair Isle, and knitting patterns in like Snoopy and ABC's. I vaguely remember struggling with a rather ornate Christmas stocking that never got finished, but I can't for the life of me remember anything about knitting in the round. I even have some small double pointed needles. I just don't know what to do with them.

I've watched your videos on knitting in the round. Very helpful and I think I can pick it up. My question is, since the above pattern is calling for two different size dpn's, could this be done with circular needles? When knitting socks, do you have to use the dpn's at the heel? Doesn't something special go on there? Which is basically easier: circular or dpn's, for a beginning sock knitter? I have to make an investment in the needles either way, and would like to make the best, most versatile choice since my money is so funky right now.

Thanks for all help. Also, if anyone knows of a dead simple sock pattern, I'd like to practice on that. To begin, I would not try the multi colors of the above pattern.
I just love options circs for sock knitting - magic loop 2 at a time! Currently working on a pair of navy blue socks on a size 1 or 2 and noticed the coating is flaking off 1 of the tips. Has anyone noticed this happening?
Santa brought me a set of Harmony 6 inch dpns..... Ohhhhhh! Thank you, Santa! Thank you! These are wonderful!
My harmony size #1 circular needle broke in half! I was just putting a point protector on it and snap! I was using two #1's to make socks two at a time. Now I have unmatched needles to work on. Oh , well, guess I will buy metal from now on.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service