Knitting Community

Here's where you can post feedback and questions about our Nickel-Plated Options Interchangeable Needles.

If you have any problems with your needles, please contact Knit Picks Customer Service at 1.800.574.1323. Thanks!

Views: 954

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Lolly,

Knit Picks makes a variety of fixed circular needles. The lengths range from 16 " to 47". The 16" has a needle size range of US 0 to 11 and the 24", 32", 40" and 47" has a needle size range of US 0-3. At this time we have not made plans to increase the needle size choices in the longer lengths. We are always happy to recieve feed back that knitters are interested in new products.
I've never had my needles come apart from the cable in the middle of a project. However, I habitually give the empty needle a quick check before starting the next row or round, just in case. I am a fairly new knitter and got my Options set (metal ones) last November after a lot of research. I use them for everything. I've tried straights and hated them, and I can't imagine using dpns when Magic Loop is so easy.

The best thing to do is buy a cable and some needle tips in a couple of sizes and test them out for yourself. They are very reasonably priced. I LOVE mine!
I am working on Sally's favorite summer sweater from The Knitting Experience book one. For the sheer sections, a row is knit in a small needle then a row is knit with a much larger needle, back and forth on straight needles. The beauty of the options set shines through here: one end of my cable has a size 5 tip and the other end has a size 10 tip. No changing needles! When I finish one row and turn the piece over, I am ready with the other size.

Every time I think "these needles couldn't get any better" you prove me wrong! Keep Going!
I haven't bought any of the KP needles yet, they sound wonderful but I'm always leery about buying things without being able to see/hold them in person first. Which leads to a question...
I'm currently happy with the Susan Bates Silvalumes that I've been using (well, happy with the needle part, the join is another story) as I find they're just the right smoothness/texture for me. I was wondering how different the nickle and harmony wood needles would be from those? I'm guessing the nickle would be a bit more slippery and the wood a bit more tacky? I understand they'll be sharper and have a nicer join (yay!) Anyone who's used both have an opinion?
My Susan Bates Silvalumes were always my favorite needles until I found the Options. Now I have a basket full sitting on a shelf while I use the Options, mostly the nickel, for everything.
I'm knitting the top down (raglan sleeves) Hoodie from Son of Stitch n Bitch for my husband. I've knitted the entire body and am now more than half way finished with my first sleeve. I'm using Options Nickel plated for the project. I have checked the connections every now and then, but have no disconnects. When I got to the raglan sleeves, the pattern said to use waste yarn to hold the top of the sleeve until the body had been knitted. Being the Options lover than I am, I used a set of Options cables to hold the sleeve (using the little purple caps to keep the yarn in place). When I finished the body of the sweater, I just transferred the needle tips to the cables holding the sleeves, and started knitting. Another plus: As I started the decreases on the sleeve, I didn't have to switch to dpns as instructed -- using the Magic Loop method, I have just kept knitting... and I'll be able to complete each sleeve using nothing more than the Options Interchangeable needles. I've only used one other type of interchangeable needles (not Susan Bates), but my experience with Options is so good that I doubt that I buy any other knitting needle the rest of my life. These guys are as close to perfect as possible. Again, thanks Knit Picks for taking of your knitting family.
I have all of the tips and several of the cords. So far I have had no problems. I have always used Addi Turbos,but since the Options came out I now use them. They are great and cost about 1/3 of what the Addis cost. I use them for lace and all other knitting.
Judy
I just found a great new thing I can do with my Options needles!
I tend to knit tightly. That's just the way it is.
I recently made my first turned heel sock- a Christmas stocking done with using the Magic Loop technique. I use the KnitPicks Options Needles (which I love). As each row came around, I found myself swearing (ok, not really, but mentally) as I forced the stitches back onto the left needle.

It occurred to me that the size of the left needle isn't all that important to the gauge of the knitting. After I finished up the sock, I cast on about forty stitches in the round and started experimenting. I knitted a couple of inches with both left and right needles at size 13 and then switched the left needle end to be size 11. Much easier to get the stitches back onto the left hand needle. Another couple of inches and I changed to yet another smaller size.

I ended up with size 13 on the right and size 4 on the left (size 4 is the smallest tip that KnitPicks sells), there was a slight difference in the gauge, but if I hadn't been looking for it, I wouldn't have noticed. It was less of a variation than I sometimes get just knitting from one time to the next.

From now on, I'll be using the "mis-matched" needles, in what ever size I need to get gauge.
I also have been "mismatching" sizes for some time. It makes the knitting easier in a tight multiple-stitch decrease or cables, and can help out tremendously in achieving correct rows-per-inch gauge without affecting stitches-per-inch gauge.
i love my options and have never had a problem with them! however, i wish i could get smaller needle sizes and a 16 or 20 inch cable. that would solve all of my problems!

thank you for creating such a great product!
I like my Knit Picks Options so much that when I flew to DC about a month ago, I almost took my Addi's instead, just in case Security decided to take my needles. They can take my Addi's (and I do like them too, but Options have the wonderful cable that Addi's don't) but don't mess with my Options!
I know, the security website says knitting needles are okay for travel now, but one could still be at the whim of individual agents (and whatever security risks might be present on any given day).
I am sure I had an ulterior motive subconsciously as well, "Take my Addi's, I need a reason (excuse) to shop some more at Knit Picks". :o)
Annie
I'm interested in the interchangeable circular needles but I'd LOVE to see them with 16" and 18" cables. I make hats and I need the smaller cables. Do you think they'll be available anytime soon?

Thanks!!!

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service