Knitting Community

Post your yarn suggestions here!

Tags: yarn

Views: 727

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about releasing a Merino Style in a worsted weight? I'd love it!!! Wine, grey, MOSS!!!
Merino Style was my first KP yarn purchase, made into a scarf, and I love it... "spongy" and completely non-irritating. I bought it with the intention of making a scarf. I figured, if I could stand to wear it up against my neck, under my long hair, all day, I could use it for anything. And if I couldn't someone was gonna get a really nice scarf for Christmas! LOL!

This is the third winter I've worn it now. I like the current weight, but I wouldn't complain if it were also available in a worsted weight.
I need suggestions, so hope I am using this forum properly.
I would like to make this: http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/conte...
and I would like to talk about yarns for it. The suggested gauge is 6 stitches per inch, sport weight, or so.
I like Andean Treasure alot tho the colors are limited. beside liking that yarn alot I would also like to talk about color, if I chose Telemark, I would have alot more color choices and could really play with a combo. Your comments would be appreciated!
Hi! The yarn called for in the pattern is actually jumper-weight, or fingering - and a perfect substitute would be Palette. You'd get lots of color play choices there, and it's a much lighter weight than Telemark (which is very heavy for its gauge, perfect for wind-proof sweaters) and more crisp for colorwork than drapey Andean Treasure. For a color reference, the closest color match to the original in Palette would be Camel Heather for Eesit, Verdant Heather for Leprechaun, and Marine Heather for Clyde Blue - so you might want to shy away from those! ;-)

happy knitting!
I have a question about how merino silk compares to alpaca silk.

I'm looking for a fingering weight alpaca silk that I can use to make a sweater on size 2 or 3 US needles. I see on the knit picks site that there is only merino silk available in this weight, but I've never used it and alpaca silk is so soft! Is merino silk as nice? I'd like to get opinions on this. I tried searching on the net and I don't have time to stop off at a yarn store for a feel test... thoughts?

Thanks!
Hi Hannah,

I'd say, overall, that it's definitely soft but definitely different. The reason is in the difference between the sheep's wool and the alpaca fibers, which is hair. Both will be warm, both soft, but the hairy alpaca will give you drape and a soft halo; merino will offer more stability and 'substance'.

Merino is a dull fiber on its own; its crimp is high. Merino -silk blends rely on the silk content for its sheen. Alpaca is more lustrous and will have a 'glow'. Alpaca is also much warmer than merino, which could definitely be a concern depending on the weather! Alpaca is often blended with stronger fibers, like silk, to retain its shape - it tends to get a little limp with wear. Merino will retain its shape after many uses.

So, really there's a lot to consider beyond just softness! You will find, generally, that an alpaca silk blend will be physically softer than a merino silk blend, but they are both excellent yarns with their own special characteristics that will affect the finished piece.
I just got my hank of Ivy Shimmer yarn in the mail, and it was even more beautiful than I expected. Is there any chance of a line of Shimmer in heathered colors in the future?
I'm thinking about knitting a queen size blanket for my bed using the Log Cabin pattern. I want to use KP yarn. Any recommendations? I'm thinking about Main Line or Swish Worsted. How would these work? Or should I go with Comfy? I want it to be warm, but light. I'm working on about a 3-4 color design.
Kelley just finished another blanket using Swish Worsted - it turned out squishy and lightweight. Comfy is also a good choice - it'd be a little less expensive than Swish and will still be washable. It won't be quite as warm, though.

Main Line is being phased out, so the color choices are pretty limited.
Between the Cotlin, Comfy, and Shine, which is the most cool or most comfortable in warmer climates?

I'm looking to knit a lightweight tee and a cardigan later this year, and I'm looking for your recommendations.
They are all cotton based, so any of them should be fine. I would start with the lightest weight, Shine Sport, and see how comfortable you are with that... and then work up from there. But, cotton breathes well and is the preferred fiber by many for warmer climates. CotLin also has the linen fiber in it, which would be equally comfortable in warmer climates.

I'm sure KnitPicks staff and others may have other ideas too...
They're all good warm-weather choices, but each has a specific strength. Shine has a percentage of Modal fiber, which is made from beech trees, and it makes the final knitted fabric shiny with good stitch definition. CotLin has linen fibers, and that will cause it to drape a little bit more (and get softer with multiple washings). Comfy is a good all-purpose cotton yarn, and it's a little lighter-weight than Shine because of the microfiber content - it'll give you a "bouncier" sweater.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service