Knitting Community

Post your yarn suggestions here!

Tags: yarn

Views: 718

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

February 12th, 2008 at 4:12 pm
Theresa Zelazny:

I just received my order of bare merino fingering yarn. I love it. I’m wondering if in the future you could offer a sellection of bare natural grey yarns. These can give extra depth and subtlety for our dyeing.

Thank you,
Theresa
January 16th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

“Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises.” –Elizabeth Zimmerman

Thanks for the podcast on knitting through anxiety.

My husband is active duty Air Force and going to Korea for a year. I’m worried. I want to knit sock for my special soldier. If you ever start selling sock yarn that is compatible with the new Air Force (ABU) uniform, please let me know. All of my black socks are unusable now.

Thanks!

Alexandra Walters
I'm Alexandra. I posted this question a while ago. I heard in one of the recent podcasts that Grass is acceptable for military socks, so I'll be giving that a try. (My husband claims it's too green, but I plan to overdye it in a 5% solution of grey to get that truly putrid military color.) Thanks for following through! That's why I'm such a fan of this company!

--AW Knit-R-Done
I have just started to get into Machine Knitting, and also have a Antique Circular sock machine, I would love it if you could offer some of your yarns (the sock yarn, and the fingering/sport weight yarns) in a cone option. The sock yarn works really well with the sock machine - and I would hazard that the fingering weight would work excellently with the knitting machine.

Thanks.
I miss sock memories....I love the size of that yarn...any chance of something similar coming in the future....I'm hoarding a few skeins for socks for me....I'm currently knitting the Sock Memories Shawl and would love to do it again for others....Thanks.
I, too, love sock Memories. When I realized it was being discontinued, I stocked up on as much as I could. I'm halfway through a pair of Charlene Schurch's More Sensational Knitted Socks, and they look great! I'd love to have the Memories colors come back, but in a fingering weight super-wash.
Yes! I have hoarded an obscene amount of Sock Memories in the Grandma colorway, all squirreled away for just the "right" project and would so love to see it and other Memories colorways return in a superwash fingering weight wool.
I would love a candy apple or tomato red sock yarn.
Palette has a red on clearance (it's getting updated in the fall), and it also has a Salsa Heather color available. If you're not a Palette fan, you could buy fingering weight yarn in Bare (we have five different fiber types!) and dye your own - here's the tutorial page on using our Jacquard dyes.
i saw a great interpretation of a Lion Brand Pattern called Jacket Deconstructed which was knit up in Noro Sock yarn. I love the colors that Noro puts forth but the yarn, even washed feels YUCKY.
The pattern is basically a rectangle with sleeves set into it. The reason why the yarn worked in the garment was that it stretched all funky on the bias, had airy holes, and the hem-line was asymmetrical. I think the pattern could be exploited further in a true lace weight yarn, and I would like to be able to find an affordable Knit Picks yarn to sub. any suggestions? I was thinking perhaps the alpaca cloud lace weight...
Oh, I just looked up that Noro version on Ravelry - it's incredible!

Have you seen the new colors in Shimmer? I think they're even better in person, and you get great yardage (440/50g) for under $6 per skein. Bayou is my favorite - you can see another picture of it on Kelley's blog.

If you wanted something a little more affordable, our new Gloss Lace is lovely and costs $3.99 per skein. It feels a little more substantial and may hold up better in a sweater. About half of the colors are in right now, and they have a beautiful sheen from the silk. Melissa has posted another review of Gloss Lace in this blog post and she has some really nice additional photos.
I just received 7 hanks of Bayou Shimmer and LOVE IT!!! I've decided to knit the knitalong sweater in it with dill alpaca as the 6th row color - reverse order. Hopefully it will turn out as much as I hope. I just love the color too much to use it as a "fill in" or maybe I'll think of something else since it was just a coincidence that I ordered it and read about the knitalong. I also ordered the 7 hanks of Morning Mist and it's really pretty. I've ordered sterling and natural and a few other shadow and lace weight yarn colors to try with it, so maybe I'll use it for the sweater....

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service