Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

cherylbwater,this is the answer i was looking for. Thank you so much!I

I have been knitting for 40 plus years. being . thought i knew just about everything

and being smug about it, well i guess you know this humbled me. I will no longer

be so uppity about something. lesson learned.

again thanks for taking the time to answer my  question. charlene   l

Charlene, we also have a group called Ask the Fairy Godknitters. Please feel free to ask questions over there as well. I think more people see the questions there.

I am sure there is a guide to this question somewhere but I don't know where to start. Can anyone tell me how you approximate a yarn weight when you are doubling strands. For example if I take two strands fingering weight wool what wieght would that give me approximately? Is there a rule of thumb anyone knows? Would it give me sport weight? If I double the wool strands would I double the needle size?  I know I could knit a gauge but it seems so time consuming I am looking for a short cut :)

Thanks for any thoughts

A simple rule of thumb is this:

Take the sts per in of the yarn,  multiply by 2, then divide by three to find out what the sts per in gauge should be for the doubled strands.

EXAMPLE: For a fingering yarn at 7 sts to the in:  7 x 2 = 14/3 = 4.67 st/in

So, your doubled fingering weight yarn would be DK/worsted weight for knitting and you would want to use the needle that gives you that gauge when knitting.

Thanks that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for thanks so much!

I need to write that rule of thumb in my notes somewhere or I will be looking for it again next month :)

LOL!  I found  it on Ravelry a few weeks ago but didn't write it down, or bookmark it!  Yep!  Had to go do a post search on Rav to find it for you!  I'll not be forgetting it now!  So Thank You!!

Thats funny because first I was on Ravelry and I thought where am I ever going to start to find an answer to this question and then I saw the "question that doesn't fit" line of conversation over here at knitpicks and thought "hey I can be lazy and post my question and maybe someone will have the answer :)

Thanks for saving me a bunch of time!!

You're welcome!  I wouldn't have known the answer, nor probably thought of a post search on rav if I hadn't stumbled across it before!  It worked out well for both of us!

Holly, I think your best bet is what you have already suggested, rip back the sleeves and bottom. I would do the sleeves first and then decide if the length of the body needs to be done as well.

Holly, click here for help.

I was wondering if it is necessary to block the cotton and superwash yarns like you do with wool

Hi There!

We have a whole guide to blocking easy-care yarns such as superwash wool, cotton, and acrylic on the Knit Picks blog.

You can find it here:

http://www.knitpicks.com/cfBlog/post.cfm/caring-for-easy-care-yarns

Hope that helps!

-jenny

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service