Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jane: I know of two friends who have them. One has a Kindle and one has a Sony. The one who has the Kindle likes that you can plug it in to charge overnight, and when he gets up in the morning, his New York Times is on the Kindle, waiting for him to read it while having his coffee. The other one doesn't need this feature and didn't want to pay extra for it. He's happy with his. I don't know whether the Kindle can be plugged into the computer, but I would be surprised if it didn't. Unless it's its own computer...but maybe someone else knows. --P
I hope that this is the correct place to post this question...

I just bought a copy of the 1948 edition of "Snowtime Sweaters". In the author's (Gretchen Baum) suggestions, she states that these patterns are planned stitch by stitch. Therefore, if I want to change the size of the sweater, I should change the needle size or type of yarn. All of the sweater patterns (regardless of size) call for size 5 needles for the body and worsted weight yarn. Does this truly mean that I can change the size 34-36 sweater to a size 40 by going up to a size 6 or 7 needle? All of the stitch gauge are 5 1/2 stitches = 1 inch. Does it also mean that I could increase the size by using heavy worsted instead of regular worsted?
Thanks for any advice. I love these sweater patterns, but most of the women's patterns are too small for me.

Cherrie
Cherrie: Check back for answers from others, but here's my opinion. 5 1/2 sts/in is fairly dense, so you should be able to use a bigger needle. Worsted weight yarn commonly knits at 4.5 - 5 sts/in. You need to find out how much ease is planned into the sweater. If they made a sweater exactly 36" in diameter at 5 1/2 sts/in, it would take 198 sts, including front and back knit in the round, or 101 sts each with the front and back knit separately, allowing for a seam on each side. Add in ease of 2-4 in. (for example) for your 34-36" size would bring the total sts up to 209 k in the rnd or 107 each front and back. If you use a needle that will give you 5 sts/in you would get almost 42" allowing you 2" ease. A needle size that would give you 4 1/2 sts/in would give you a total finished chest measurement of more than 46" allowing plenty of ease for a size 40. I was around in 1948, and it seems I remember ski sweaters or winter sweaters as being fairly fitted, and if this is the case with the sweater you want to make, you should make sure your gauge swatch is accurate. If no ease is planned in, you should still be able to decrease your sts/in with a larger needle and get the size you want. The less ease is planned in, the more crucial it is that you not make it too small, but the same principles apply. Let me know how many sts are in the pattern, and I should be able to tell you exactly how big the sweater will be with the larger gauge. --P
Peggy: Thanks for your help with this. I hadn't even considered the 'ease'.
The size 34-36 sweater has total of 184 stitches (front -92 st. and back - 92 st). That seems pretty 'fitted' to me.
I also noticed that the men's size 40, in a different pattern, has a total of 208 stitches. Much closer to the number of stitches I would probably need for my size.

I've done fair-isle knitting before, but have always used a pattern that is my size. I'm trying to challenge myself a little by playing around with sizing and then realized that I had no idea how to figure it out.

Thanks again....

Cherrie
Cherrie: I'm glad it was helpful. Yes, that does seem fitted, even to the point of negative ease. You might have a look at the instructions, too, and see if the men's is bigger in the shoulders or if it's pretty much the same sweater as the women's. You wouldn't want to make a sweater that is designed to be skin tight, but it overly tight in some places and too loose in others. That said, knitted fabric tends to be somewhat forgiving, so small variations aren't so important. Let me know if you need further help. Sounds like an exciting project! --P
Is it possible to hand paint yarn/roving with jacquard dyes?
I think you can hand-paint your yarn or roving by following the information wimilar to dyeing sock blanks here.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.
You're welcome. I'm planning on trying it, too, after the first of the year. --P
Is the hat pattern in Elizabeth Zimmermann's "Knitting Workshop" the trendy "Boyfriend Hat"?
Bobbie,
I looked at both, and I really don't think so. I looked at the Boyfriend Hat over on Ravelry, and read the directions for the hat in the "Knititng Workshop" - and they look different to me. --S
Thanks, Susan. It was different--quite a bit. What I made was a slouchy hat, but it isn't the Boyfriend type cap--probably the slouch is prettier. :)

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service