Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey all,

Thinking about ball winders. I am going to start a project that calls for a total of  26 balls of yarn. Unfortunately the yarn comes in hanks.  I always have major tangle problems with hanks, probably my fault, but there it is. I am definitely going to buy the KP swift and hopefully that will cure my tangly hank problem.

Now to the ball winders:

KP has two as you know. One is their own brand, very nicely priced! The is "Royal Ball Winder" is an "ouchy" $60.00. Does the Royal manufacturer charge more for the Royal just because they can, or is it really better quality, perhaps a  longer lasting product? I have been buying from Knitpicks for a long time and trust their products, but why do they offer two ball winders with such different prices? I don't want to pay for the Royal and then find out the KP is every bit as good, I'd feel like a fool. But yet I have this image in my head of being right in the middle of my 26 hank b all winding and having the KP break on me. Sorry to seem to doubt Knitpicks, I love them. But when it comes to my money, well, I think we're all like that. Thanks for any help. Cathy

I bought a Royal ball winder back in 2006, and it is still working fine.  No problems with it at all.  I got it on a half price sale from another company, which made it affordable for me.  I got a large umbrella swift at about the same time, again on a half price sale, so it didn't break me up... both are indispensable.

My daughter bought a KP ballwinder last year, and it seemed pretty sturdy to me, but after months of using it, it did break.  I'm not sure if that is typical or not, or if it was handled too roughly. 

I too love KP, love their needles, love their yarns, etc. But from time to time I do buy from other companies to get what at want at the discounted prices.  Shop around and spread your fiber budget as far as you can.

Catherine, I have heard good things about both the Royal and the KP winders, but I am extremely hard on things. I think I have even owned a Royal. And I've owned several other plastic ball winders. But before KP came out with their own winder, I did purchase a heavy duty ball winder from Nancy's Knit Knacks, but it is now $215.. I bought this when they first came on the market so the price was about $40 to $50 less than now. This was in 2006. At the time, I was doing a lot of winding because I was selling some kits. I had already been through 3 winders so I had already spent over $150 within less than 6 mnths, so it was worth it for me to spend the extra money. The only times I have problems with this one is when I have failed to clean it for awhile. But if you aren't planning a lot of heavy duty winding, I would consider either of the ones KP carries.

And, as Susan says, if you are going to invest in a winder, you really need to invest in an umbrella swift.

I have a Royal that I bought in 2004 from a local supplier (at a then price of $40).  I have lots of children who have helped wind balls and who have played with it a little. (It shoots TP tubes off in a very fine manner! =D )

It is beginning to show some wear, we have even had it pop apart and had to put it back together, but were able to do so and continue using it just fine.  I would buy another again, even at the $60.  It is great for the home fiber artist who needs to wind their own balls of yarn. 

Hi Catherine,

I have had the KP winder for over a year and it works beautifully.  I use it when needed and then store it.  Go with what feels right for you and your needs.

As Cheryl mentioned - don't forget the swift.

Hi Catherine,

I too have the KP ball winder.  It has worked great for me every time.  I do not use it on a daily basis, or for that matter even monthly, but when I do use it, it gets a work out.  I keep mine in it's original box although it doesn't fit as it did when brand new, so I put it in a clear plastic zip bag left over from a set of sheets.  I have lots of dust here so that  helps keeps it nice and clean, and I can see exactly what is in the bag. 

Didn't you forget to tell Catherine something really, really important? I mean that's sort of like when I told my boys that a half truth is worse than a lie!

Catherine, Nutty is about due with her 12th child! So when she says her ball winder shoots TP tubes off in a very fine manner, she ain't kiddin'!

"I have lots of children..."

No lie!!  Not even a half truth!!  Two 'lots' of soon to be 6 each!! =))))))

Now for the explanation:  Catherine, I lost my first husband in '98 when we had 6 children.  Current DH and I married in '03 and 'our' 6th is due in March. (Hence the two 'lots' or 'batches' of children.)  Cheryl is the adopted 'Texas Granny' and just loves to give me a hard time!! =)

Uh, oh, this Granny better get her behind to the post office today! Two of those chillens have birthdays coming up.

Hello everyone, even though I have been a member for a
while now, I've never had a Question before. I am hoping someone can answer my question.
I ran accross a stitch I've never seen before.
 Q- how do you purl tbl on th purl side?
Thanks, Charlene

Hi Charlene,

I'm not certain, but I think it means one purls through the back loop instead of the front loop. It might feel a tad uncomfortable if you do the knit stitch in the "regular" way. You'll have to reach for the loop. Hopefully someone can confirm this.

Charlene, I hope this video helps you!

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service