Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Everyone!

Was wondering if anyone had knit the Adagio Sweater vest pattern? If so, I have a question regarding wording. Under "Finishing" for the Armband it states: With RS facing, begin at center of underarm sts. Use smallest 16" circular needle or dpns to PU and knit 1 st in each BO st and 4 sts for every 5 rws.

My question is, besides that I need a multiple of 3, which it states later in the paragraph, does this mean that I am PU a stitch for every BO stitch AND 1 st for every 4 rows .... of the sweater? of the armhole? that I encounter as I pick up stitches? I'm guessing here, now!  LOL

Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated, as always!

Thanks!

elfcat

cold meds and knitting are NOT 2 great things that go great together......  :(

Hmm, I would take that to mean pick up and knit into bound off stitches, making sure you get 4 sts picked up for every knitted row?

Your best bet might be to contact the designer for further clarification. Are you on ravelry at all? Her username is beatknitter. Or on her website contact info, you can email her directly at frarydesigns at gmail dot com.

Hope this helps, everyone writes patterns a bit differently which can lead to a lot of confusion on phrasing - happens to me all the time!

Good luck!

Here's what I understand those directions to mean:

PU and knit one stitch for every BO st - at the bottom of the armhole you should have stitches that were bound off to begin the armhole shaping when you knitthe fronts and backs.  In each of these BO stitches (front and/or back of vest), PU and knit one stitch.

...and 4 sts for ever 5 rows - as you work up/down the sides of the armholes, the stitches at the edge will be end of row stitches, pick up 4 stitches for every 5 of these rows.

Hope the cold gets better soon and the knitting foes well!! =)

I have a question that i hope someone can answer.  I subscribe to Creative Knitting and I started the pattern White Out Doleman.  Because I am a knit-picks girl, I mateched the yarn with Palette and Aloft, using 1 strand of each together.  I have neverworked with lace before, only worsted and sport.

Question.  I have one of those winders from Knit-Picks, so could I wind the 2 together or would it damage the fragile looking Aloft?????

Question. I know how to make a felted joining with 2 ends of the yarn, but how do you join the Aloft??  Do you do the same with it except the seperation part?????

Yes, you can wind the two yarns together on a ball winder without damaging the Aloft.  However, be aware that the fuzzy mohair yarns are very sticky, so it may not pull out of the cake very smoothly, especially at the beginning when you are pulling from the tight center.

When I am joining mohair yarns like Aloft, I simply overlap the two ends and knit 4-6 stitches with them, then drop the old yarn.  Wet splicing doesn't work very well because of the fuzz and the nylon content, untwisting and re-twisting opposite plies, and the Russian join don't work very well either, IMO, because of the fuzz and the construction of the yarn.

Thank you very much.  When I wind them, I will try to wind it loosely.  I will also take your advice on the joining.

Thanks Again

You're welcome. Hope it works for you.

You might try winding them by hand. IMHO that way you could control the tension better keeping it looser.

Also, just so you know, you consider posting these kinds of questions in Ask the Fairy Godknitters. I think more people would see the question and you might get more advice.

Hello everyone!  I have a problem developing from my knitting style, and the amount of knitting I have been doing over the past few months.  I am a "thrower", and use the pad of my right index finger to push on the tip of the left hand needle when I need to slide the worked stitch from left to right, and to move stitches to be worked forward along the left needle.  My index finger is very sore, and developing a callous.  Any suggestions on how I can protect my finger so that I can keep knitting?  I have lots of projects to work on that were put aside to work on xmas gifts.   OH....and PLEASE don't suggest switching to continental style.  I've been knitting for over 10 years, and I just cannot make that switch.  I've tried it.  Can't do it.  :-(

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Vicky in OH

(waving my sore finger in the air  )

Hi Vicky, I totally sympathize... I too am a thrower, and with some things I knit, I use my thumb to push off... well, with the nice sharp KP tips, I've actually punctured my thumb a few times... actually drawn blood - ouch!  What I try to do it to slide the work without the use of fingers or thumbs... when the stitches are tight, it's harder to do, but with practice, you can do it... I tried using a thumb protector (metal), but it was way too clumsy... so I had to develop a different method of work... I hope you work it out... and BTW, I also have callouses on both my finger and thumb on my right hand...

Well, Vicky, I'm a picker (continental style knitter) and I also use my right index finger to push the neddle quite often, so switching styles wouldn't necessarily solve your problem, especially since it seems to be such an ingrained habit already.

The quilting industry promotes rubber finger tips used to grab needles, fabric, etc. while quilting.  Here is a link to some sold by KP's sister company, Connecting Threads.  It's possible these alone, or maybe one with a little padding in the tip may help solve your problem.

In keep a supply of cloth bandaids in my knitting bag.  Does the trick.  Be sure to use the fabric ones, not the shiny plastic ones.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service