Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, the answer to a lot of your questions is truly up to personal preference. Do you want to try 2 circulars or the Magic loop technique? Do you want to stick with DPNs? There really isn't a superior technique for knitting socks, but knitters decide that they prefer methods over time.

Knit Picks does offer a DPN sock kit here: http://www.knitpicks.com/6%20nickel%20plated%20double%20pointed%20k...
The kit contains 6 sets of metal DPNs in every size that people commonly use for knitting socks.

Or you could just buy one size of DPNs and stick with it. What size needle you use depends upon how tight or loose your knitting is and how thick your sock yarn is. Say you are using fingering weight yarn. Most people knit that on a size 1 needle. If you are a loose knitter, use a 0 and if you are a tight knitter, use a size 2. You'll notice that there is only 0.25 mm difference between the needle sizes, which is tiny. For my first sock, I would pick a size 1 needle, knit a swatch to figure out how many stitches per inch I'm getting, and then cast on. You can knit socks at whatever gauge you are knitting with a little arithmetic.
do you know how many yards of sock yarn it takes to do a heel and toe only. I want to make a sock with a different colored heel and toe and was hoping I had enough of a yarn that I have. Thank you
Hi I just recieved the warm merino sampler I am trying to knit the head band but just can't get it is there a book that can help me
thanks
Anita
What are you having trouble with? We have tutorials on how to read a chart or knit cables here: http://community.knitpicks.com/notes

Also, any of the how to knit themed books are a pretty good resource for a project like that (I recommend Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting book because it is super comprehensive or the Stitch and Bitch Handbook because I learned how to knit with that book.
Hi,
I recently started a lace project for the first time and have a question regarding life lines. Does anyone know of an easy way to thread a life line when using the Harmony straight needles. My project uses size 15 needles and is knit flat. I tried it on the circulars but had a lot of trouble getting the yarnovers to slide back on the tips. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I only used a life line once, and it was very helpful. I used a length of totally different yard so I cound find it easily, then threaded it on a darning needle and pulled it through the stitches on my needles. Cut the life line yarn 6-12 inches longer than the item you are knitting so that it doesn't pull back up into the knitting inadvertantly. I did this after I restarted an item like six times due to minor mistakes. Great time saver.
If you were using circular needles, you could use floss as your life line and thread it through the hole that you use to tighten the needles. It would move through the stitches as you knit and would could just leave it there at the end of the row.

With straight needles, finish your row, then thread your life line onto a tapestry needle and thread it through all of the stitches on your needle.
I don't have a question, but just wanted to comment on the new content of the KP site. There is so much great information, and the formatting has improved greatly. This is the best place on the internet to learn about knitting, talk with other knitters, and learn. I finally got to view several of the videos, and they are fantastic. Great work!
I haven't ever don't steeks yet, but I have knit raglan cardigans from the neck down. What is the advantage to steeks vs. just knitting on circular needles back and forth?

Ginger VW
Some people don't like to purl, so they prefer to steek a raglan cardigan instead of knitting it back and forth. Steeking is also great for fair isle knitting because it's easy to steek a v neck or open a cardigan but not worry about knitting all of those pieces separately while carrying the yarn.
What is steeking?
Granny8
Steeking is when you reinforce knitted fabric, then cut it vertically. Here is a video explaining how to steek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuxuoIc3Ibc&eurl=http://communit...

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service