Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a problem I need some suggestions about fixing.  I knit my husband a scarf that has a knit 5, purl 1 rib with cables on each end that when finished appear to be a Celtic knot design.  There are about 5 'stay' stitches on each side of the scarf to prevent curling....however, the scarf curls upon itself, I suspect due to the rib.  I blocked the scarf and it blocked out very nicely but after a few days of use, it is back to curling.  Is there anything I can do in the blocking process to make it hold it's shape longer?  I used City Tweed HW worsted in Snowshoe and absolutely love the look.  At this point, the only thing I can think of is to rip the scarf out and knit in a different pattern!  Any suggestions to keep this scarf from rolling?

Cindy, was it done in stockinette on the sides? Often I use garter stitch on the sides to prevent this from happening. I'm not sure if this would work or not but what about using an attached I-cord on each side instead of frogging? Without knowing the pattern, I don't know if this might work. Or is there enough on each side to fold it back to do a hem? That might help prevent curling. Just trying to think of different ways to prevent ripping the whole thing out.

Actually, Cheryl, I believe it has seed stitch on each side to keep it from rolling.  I love the pattern....it was featured in one of KP's catalogs done in City Tweed Snowshoe.  I loved it so much, I bought the book the pattern was in, bought the yarn and away I went!

Well, seed stitch should certainly have kept it from curling. It may be that the drape of the City Tweed because of the drape from the alpaca is causing it to curl. I've used City Tweed but in nothing that is flat. I did a bag with it that I felted. It felts beautifully. I've done some cute stuffed strawberries which worked great and I'm currently doing the Morgan hat from knitty.com.

I suggest you check with customer service to see if they have any suggestions or to find out if the drape took over the sample scarf also.

Hope you have a joyous holiday season, Cindy.

I want to make an Einstein coat with your yarn, can you make a couple suggestions?
If you are referring to the Einstein coat in Sally Melville's book The Knit Stitch, I think Swish Bulky would work.  Of course you would have to swatch to be sure.  But if it does work to gauge, the Swish is machine washable!!  Yea!
I did not know what an Einstein Coat was, and did a Google search.  Several pictures came up, and when I clicked on many a yarn name appeared.  This may help you.  A Neat looking garment.  Hope this helps you.
Hey, Angela! How are you? I love Sally Melville's patterns. I think this would be a terrific coat.
I am just learning to spin on a borrowed wheel and I want to purchase my own wheel. I am liking the Kromski Fantasia but I would want to purchase the additional whorls it talks about in the description. I do not see these for sale on the site. Also, many dealers offer store credit toward the purchase of roving or accessories for the wheel. Is Knit PIcks doing this or will they be doing this?
Joy, you might check with customer service to get answers to your questions. You might also want to join the Spin Along.

Hi All, I thought I would never do another sweater again just because it takes so long, but I found something like a loose hoodie type of sweater that I wish to try.

Already I am having a problem figuring out the gauge. The pattern says 10 sts + 13 rows = 4 in.

I've done a swatch (granted I still need to wash and dry, but I like to see before and after results). Anyway, I got 3 sts to an inch. and for me 13 rows made 3.25 inches. If I'm figuring this out correctly, I need to go down needle size. Am I right or totally off?

Thanks for you help, Larry

The smaller the needle, the more sts per inch. It is usually more important to get sts per inch than rows per inch. When gauge is really important I will do a swatch with several different needle sizes. I delineate the swatches with a couple of rows of garter st and I do the number of yarn overs for the size needle I am swatching. As soon as I can locate my photo of how I do this, I will post it here.

If you will click here, it will take you to a comment I made about swatching and you can see the photo.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service