Knitting Community

Have a question that doesn't fit into any of the other categories?

Post it here, and we'll try to answer it!

Views: 3385

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When do the Spring catalogs go out? I've requested a catalog a few times, but have never received one. I want to make sure I don't miss the new one.
Sure! Our "April" catalog is due to arrive in homes on March 27th, and our "May" catalog is due in homes on May 8th. These are estimates - you might receive yours a day or two on either end of the given date.

The best way to make sure you're on the catalog mailing list is to call Customer Service at 1.800.574.1323. They can look you up and tell you right away!
Thanks.
How do you block a hat?  

I usually wash it and let it dry over a plate...giving it a round shape.

I am stumped with how to download a pattern that I ordered and paid for. I ordered the Men's Convertible Fingerless Gloves, have an invoice, and order number 726492. I have been unable to find any instructions on how to get it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I figured it out! Should I say, I finally checked my email and found the email with the link. Boy do I feel dumb! Very Simple!!
Glad you got it! If you ever have a problem, though, you can always call Customer Service at 1.800.574.1323. They answer questions like this all of the time!
Sorry to ask this question on the back of another, but I cannot see how to begin a new subject. My sister has an alpaca and llama farm. She sent her fleece of to a mill to be spun into yarn. She recieved the yarn back on cones rather than skeins.. I seem to remember reading that this is not a good way to store yarn for hand knitting, and that it should be skeined before balled to allow the fiber to relax. Is this true?
Thanks
Susanna
You're right, skeins and tightly-wound balls tend to stretch the fiber in the yarn and leave it a little limp. Winding the yarn into skeins will allow the fibers to rest in their natural, not-stressed state. If she's putting yarn into long-term storage, it may be best to wind it into skeins before putting it away. I would check an see how tightly the yarn is wound onto the cones before doing any additional work, though. If it's wound gently, it may be ok.
Hi Susanna,

You may want to look into "umbrella swifts" and "ball winders" on the internet. Knitters Review Dot Com
has good explanations of what these tools are used for, plus discussions by members. I got mine when I was hand spinning, years ago. Through several cross country moves and much unloading of extraneous "stuff" I would never let go of these two treasures.
Susanna,
I totally agree. I bought a ball winder last winter, and my husband bought me a swift for my birthday. I don't use them daily or anythng, but it sure makes dealing with large amounts of yarn a lot easier. The first thing I did with the ball winder was to organize all of those small amounts of yarn left over from projects.
And if you purchase a hank of yarn (and some come that way), having both makes winding a ball a lot easier. These are two priceless items for a handknitter to own.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service