Knitting Community

Is there a pattern you'd like to see? Post about it here!

Views: 459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Jenny. I knew I had seen something similar on Lion Brand. But I was thinking there was wrap instead of a cape.
Hi I am new here and was wondering if there are any full size hammock patterns out there. I plan to use large needles and fairly large rope ( or similar) and just doing garter stitch. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Well, I checked your page and did not see a Ravelry ID for you. I suggest you join Ravelry. It is also a free site. It can seem overwhelming as there are over 3 million members world wide. It is a great resource for pattern searching. Click here (you will have to join Ravelry before you will be able to see my search) for the search I did on hammocks. Most are either for babies or small animals, but it is a place to start on ideas for knitting a hammock. Best of luck and let us know if you need any further help with your quest.

I made a hammock for my daughter. I used 15s and 10s for needles and started by casting on 10 around a carabiner. I did a yo kt1 yo kt1 increase up to a total of 80 st then went with garter stitch for body. I made it about 25 inches long and then did k2tog kt1 k2tog kt1 decrease back down to 10. I cast off again around a carabiner. Is there a better way to do the increase and decrease. I think i did them in 5 rows for both increase and decrease. it is pretty severe from the body to the carabiner. Btw my daughter is 4 months old and 12 lbs.

Well, it sounds like you did a great job. There are all types of increases and decreases and they are often paired together. Some lean to the left and some lean to the right. I think knittinghelp.com is a great place in helping you visualize how theses stitches look and are paired together. If I am doing two decreases usually so close together I pair them. I will usually do k2tog and pair it with SSK. I'm going to explain SSK because when I first started knitting no one explained it to me and the way I did it was very difficult. The way I originally did it was the way it "sounds". I would slip one as to knit, slip the next as to knit, place those stitches back on the left hand needle and then knit them together. Then I found someone who did it another way and it is so much easier:  Slip one as to knit, slip one as to purl, place back onto the left needle and knit both stitches together through the back loops. It is so much easier to knit those two stitches through the back loops rather than through the front loops. In fact, it is so much easier, I don't really have to transfer those stitches back only my left hand needle. I'm just inserting my left hand needle as if to transfer the stitches and I've already got my right needle through the back loops.

Anyway it sounds like you did a great job, but more importantly, congratulations on the new addition to your family. It sounds like she already has her daddy wrapped around her little finger. Enjoy her while you can, because over night she will be a teenager with raging hormones and soon after that she will be a young woman out on her own. And believe me, my 4 boys are all grown but they are still my babies. Once a parent, always a parent.

PS: You might want to check out the different knit alongs. Although many of them aren't active, there are many of us who follow them. In fact, I have my email settings set to receive emails for all of them for when new comments are made. So there is always someone who can help with any questions you might have.

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service