Knitting Community

Have you substituted Knit Picks yarns for the suggested yarn in your pattern? Share your success stories and pictures here!

Tags: substitution, yarn

Views: 2273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The pattern I want to knit asks for a worsted weight acrylic yarn with a gauge of 18 stitches x 24 rows per 4 inches (Lion Brand "Cupcake" yarn). I wanted to use KnitPicks Swish DK with a gauge of 5.5 stitches per 1 inch. I realize that I will have to change needle size to get the correct gauge, but what about using Swish DK?

Polly
Can I substitute KnitPIcks Swish DK yarn for Lion Brand "Cupcake" acrylic yarn in a sweater pattern? The gauge for the Cupcake yarn is 24 rows of 18 stitches per 4 inches, while Swish DK is 5.5 stiches per 1 inch. I realize that I'll have to play with the needle size, but will the substitution work?
I have a Lion Brand pattern for a baby blanket that calls for Cotton Ease, the gauge is 15 st & 19 row = 4in and it is worked on sizd 10 needles. I was looking at Shine Sport or Comfy Sport but the gauge is on size 3-6 needles? Will either work for this. The Pattern is Twin Lakes Blankie

Thanks
Bonnie, I think I would use Comfy Worsted for the project... I really think it would work. ♥s
Thanks for the help! I always get so confused when I try to substitute!
Bonnie
I would say that Comfy or Shine Worsted would be a better fit. Simply Cotton Worsted is pretty similar too - I've used all 3 and actually Simply Cotton is the closest to Cotton Ease in feel.
Thanks so much
Bonnie
Has anyone found a summer pattern to use the Sinp0ly Cotton dk weight/sport weight yarn? I only seem to be finding baby items, washcloths and spa items. Anyone have any garment suggestions? Happy stitching!
Does anyone have a suggestion for a KP yarn to replace Rowan Yorkshire tweed chunky? I want to do the sweater called Mason in Vintage Knits. I was thinking Wool of the Andes Bulky or Swish Bulky. Would one be better than another? Thanks for any advice. JILL

Hi Jill,

Both Wool of the Andes Bulky and Swish Bulky looks like it would work in replacing the Rowan yarn you mentioned. The one thing that would make you go with one over the other is that Swish is a superwash yarn while Wool of the Andes would be hand wash only. The other option you would have is to double City Tweed DK or HW - depending on your gauge, one of those might work. The only thing is that you would need twice the amount of yarn.

For simplicity's sake, I would say go with the bulky Wool of the Andes or Swish :) Hope that helps!

I love City Tweed!

Yeah, it's just that my husband has a lot of tweedy sweaters already and wanted something different.

Thanks for the feedback. JILL

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service