Knitting Community

Have you substituted Knit Picks yarns for the suggested yarn in your pattern? Share your success stories and pictures here!

Tags: substitution, yarn

Views: 2216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just finished three Jane Austen Dresses with Shrugs from the Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines book. Instead of the listed Rowan yarn, I used Knit Picks Shine Sport. It worked well, and the finished fabric is lovely. Pictures and descriptions are on my blog: http://www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
These outfits are just beautiful! Good work!
I looked at your blog and the three outfits are really cute. I've not seen such dresses before. Looks like a good future choice for my granddaughters.... I'd have to dig out my sewing machine though.... ugly thought! I haven't touched it in ages...
City Tweed sure is pretty, and it looks a lot like some of the yarns that were used in Melissa Leapman's beautiful cable knitting books. How about some catalog samples from some of Melissa's books, knit up in City Tweed? I'd love to see some of her patterns knit up.
Thanks!
Kendel
Absolutely! I'll suggest that at our next catalog samples meeting. Melissa Leapman has such gorgeous cabled patterns and City Tweed would be a natural pairing. Also, check out Ravelry because I'm sure that someone would knit City Tweed into a cabled sweater.
My SIL is looking for aran-weight yarn for a pattern that has a gauge of 20 st=4" using 5 mm needles. Would City Tweed HW work? The pattern is Irish, and is an Aran-type design. They usually have a slightly tighter knit, so I'm wondering if it will work. Suggestions? --Peggy
I think so! The cables tend to pull the fabric inward, so I bet you could get 20st/4" pretty easily. And it's a gorgeous yarn for rustic cabled sweaters. I saw one lady do a full Aran pullover in the Snowshoe colorway and it was incredible.
Thanks, Alison. I believe she is ordering City Tweed HW in "Romance." She wasn't sure how much to order. The original pattern was for 50-gm balls. She's ordering half the number called for plus a couple. I'm still cleaning her drool off my balls of City Tweed DK in the colors that are the same as for HW. She couldn't believe they were such a bargain. I can, of course! Happy knitting! --P
Does anyone know if aeither City Tweed would be similiar to Plymouth Galway???
Hi Robin,

I think the yarns are pretty different - the Galway is a smooth 100% wool yarn while the City Tweed is slightly textured alpaca/wool blend with tweedy bits. Depending on the pattern, you should be able to substitute one for the other though - was there a pattern you had in mind?

Thanks!
Stacey
Customer Service
I was looking at "Avast" from Knittty.
Hi Robin,

I think that would look great! You'll probably need to swatch, as City Tweed has a different gauge, but I think that would be a great substitute.

Stacey
Customer Service

RSS

Introducing Galileo!

Dazzling, brilliant colors inspired by the night sky and a sheen that shimmers like the stars.

50% Merino Wool, 50% Bamboo. Sport weight. Just $4.99/50g!

Shop now »

New Chroma Colors!

Choose bright and bold or subtle, gentle waves of color: Chroma is a gorgeously soft wool single-ply with just a dash of nylon.

Just $9.99/100g.

Shop now »

Dreamy Tonal Colors

Gorgeous and surprising colorways to feed your creativity.

Starting at just $6.59/50g.

Shop now »

© 2014   Created by Knit Picks Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service